Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ade Lee <al...@redhat.com> on 2010/02/05 19:40:20 UTC

[users@httpd] API call to terminate server?

Hi,

How I might terminate an apache process from from one of the child
processes? (apache 2.x)

That is - is there a C API call (ap_* ?) that I can call to ask the
parent process to terminate (and thereby also terminate the other
children too)?

The context of this is that I have a requirement to terminate the server
if writes to an audit log fail (if the partition is full for instance).

I could make a system() call to "httpd -f httpd.conf -k stop", but it
would be nicer to do it with the appropriate API call(s).

As an aside, I did try to send a SIGTERM signal to the parent using:

if (kill(getppid(), SIGTERM)<0) {
    last_err = errno;
    m_audit_log->get_context()->LogError( "RA::AuditThis",
        __LINE__,
        "AuditThis: Failure to send signal.  Error: %d : %s",
                       last_err, strerror(last_err));
}

and got "Error: 1 : Operation not permitted".

Thanks,
Ade Lee