Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Tom Greenwalt <to...@minnetonkaaudio.com> on 2010/09/20 23:49:29 UTC

SSL and Axis2/C

We are trying to setup an SSL connection between a client app running on a
Mac and a Windows Server.  OpenSSL has been compiled successfully into the
Axis2/C libraries, but I'm not clear about what needs to go into the
axis2.xml file.

- <!--  Uncomment the following with appropriate parameters to enable the
SSL transport sender.
         Also make sure that the appropriate transport receiver is enabled
above.
  -->
- <transportSender name="https" class="axis2_http_sender">
  <parameter name="PROTOCOL" locked="false">HTTP/1.1</parameter>
  <parameter name="xml-declaration" insert="false" />
  </transportSender>
  <parameter name="SERVER_CERT">/path/to/ca/certificate</parameter>
  <parameter
name="KEY_FILE">/path/to/client/certificate/chain/file</parameter>
  <parameter name="SSL_PASSPHRASE">passphrase</parameter>

The server doesn't require client authentication.  The client provides an
encrypted cookie in the header when communicating that provides the server
with the needed authentication to confirm the client is who they claim to
be.

Question 1: What is "SERVER_CERT"?  Is Axis2/C going to save the server
certificate someplace when doing the SSL handshake setup?

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of SSL, but all the Axis2/C setup
instructions I've read talk about creating a client certificate.

Question 2: Why would we need a client certificate and how would it be used?

We want the client app to work similar to a browser, it may be connecting to
a variety of different servers depending on what customer is up to.

Thank you

--
Tom Greenwalt
Minnetonka Audio Software