Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2005/12/06 09:51:02 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Where to start the out messages in the handler flow?

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 23:32 +0600, Chamikara Jayalath wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I believe we should go for a simple and most flexible design. As u
> guys have explained there are two main methods to handle a protocol
> specific messages.
>
> 1. Handling it at a Handler.
> 2. Handling it at a Operation.
>
> I believe the decision has to be given to the module implementor.

Sorry to join this thread late ..

+1 to your proposal that we mustn't restrict module implementors from
doing it any way they want.

On the original question- my thinking is governed from an outside view
of Axis2: looking from outside I see messages going in and other
messages going out. I don't care whether a message is originating from a
service impl or a handler or a horse in the middle .. its coming out of
the system. Then, I want the outflow handlers to be invoked against that
message. So, if I've said "hey I want all that whacky security stuff to
come into play for outgoing messages", then a message originated by a
module implementor falls into that bucket too.

OTOH if the user has indicated that only responses from operation foo
are to be signed and encrypted, then something like a create sequence
response message will not get signed and encrypted because the outflow
will not have that.

Modules are extensions of the core runtime. However, if the user has
requested certain policies be adhered to, then those policies must be
applied to any messages that are generated from modules too; or else we
have a hole.

Sanjiva.