Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/06 23:04:50 UTC

Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication

Hi All,
the Apache PRC has sent a communication to all PMC's about how we (I mean Apache projects in general) "thank" sponsors for their contributions to the projects on the project's website. This type of acknowledgment is not considered official from Apache, in fact gets in the way for promoting the official ASF Sponsorship and Thanks! programs.

Going to a more concrete example on our website, we have a "Powered By" page. This page has a misleading title for a start; we have been carrying this one along for a very long time and I doubt it is up to date anyway. The "Powered By" page provides a list of companies rendering services and support for Apache Geronimo. So, at a minimum, we should change the page title to something more representative.

The other acknowledgment we have is with "Graphics by Epiq", these are folks who got voted for their designs when we overhauled the website and console. This one falls into the same category as the "Powered By" page for which the PRC communication seems to be specifically targeted to.

The Search box also shows "Powered by Google Search", however this might be a different case as this is an indicative of the type of search the user will actually run -> external Google search on the Geronimo site.

I just added the official "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links to the Community menu box on the left as instructed in the PRC communication. We still need to determine how to deal with "Powered By" and "Graphics by Epiq". The former should be at least renamed if not removed altogether, the latter should be removed I think.

To summarize, here are the things we need to look at

- Add "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links (it's done)
- "Powered By" page -> rename, update, delete, ...?
- "Graphics by Epiq" link on every page -> move, remove, ...?
- "Powered by Google Search" text on search box.

What you guys think?

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> the Apache PRC has sent a communication to all PMC's about how we (I
>> mean Apache projects in general) "thank" sponsors for their
>> contributions to the projects on the project's website. This type of
>> acknowledgment is not considered official from Apache, in fact gets in
>> the way for promoting the official ASF Sponsorship and Thanks! programs.
>>
>> Going to a more concrete example on our website, we have a "Powered
>> By" page. This page has a misleading title for a start; we have been
>> carrying this one along for a very long time and I doubt it is up to
>> date anyway. The "Powered By" page provides a list of companies
>> rendering services and support for Apache Geronimo. So, at a minimum,
>> we should change the page title to something more representative.
>>
>> The other acknowledgment we have is with "Graphics by Epiq", these are
>> folks who got voted for their designs when we overhauled the website
>> and console. This one falls into the same category as the "Powered By"
>> page for which the PRC communication seems to be specifically targeted
>> to.
>>
>> The Search box also shows "Powered by Google Search", however this
>> might be a different case as this is an indicative of the type of
>> search the user will actually run -> external Google search on the
>> Geronimo site.
>>
>> I just added the official "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links to
>> the Community menu box on the left as instructed in the PRC
>> communication. We still need to determine how to deal with "Powered
>> By" and "Graphics by Epiq". The former should be at least renamed if
>> not removed altogether, the latter should be removed I think.
>
> Hernan,
> I missed part of this note the first time. So, apologies...
>
> Regarding the "Graphics by Epiq" thank-you link we had on our web pages:
> the request from the ASF PRC was to "track and monitor" our "Thank You"
> pages. The basic idea is, make sure that we are giving thanks for
> something significant and don't give away advertising that is out of
> proportion to the donation. The PRC's intent is to encourage ASF
> Sponsorship, not to prevent a well-earned thank you. At least this is
> how I interpret the PRC request...
>
> I think the Geronimo "G" graphics merit the continued gratitude of the
> Geronimo project. I'd like to see our little thank you restored. Would
> you be ok with that? How do others feel?
>
> --kevan

I agree.  Epiq put a lot of time and effort into our graphics and went
out of their way to accommodate our requests with several iterations.  I
think they deserve a reference and I think spirit of the is to thank
those who contribute.

Joe

Re: Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
I wish we'd have had this discussion in early November, lot of feedback ;-)

I just restored the label and link as it was before the PRC communication.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I agree

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
agreed,  Epiq did a fantastic job and they deserve credit.

Paul

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
double ditto :)

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Ditto

--jason

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
okey dokey, here is what I've done:

- Added link to "ASF Sponsorship"
- Added link to "ASF Thanks!"
- Renamed "Powered By" with "Service and Support", we may have to remove this one later anyway.
- Removed "Graphics by Epic"
- Left "Powered by Google Search" untouched.

Cheers!
Hernan