Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/31 05:37:15 UTC

Website, examples and the Apache CMS

So I've chatted with Infra and it seems that the kind of thing we want to do with keeping the example documentation in SVN with the examples and using Markdown as the format could be done with the CMS provided a little Perl hacking and some clever use of svn externals.

The CMS was only finished a few months ago and I've not had any time/reason to look at it till now.  The docs are not a good way to get a quick glimpse, so here's a quick example project.

All content is in svn in markdown format:

    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/lucy/site/trunk/content/lucy/
    http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/

Things are published in a two step process.  The checkin to the content dir triggers the html generation.  At any point later that html can be checked in to the copy of the site.  Once the html is checked in it is *immediately* live.  No more waiting an hour or two for things to sync.  So if you document something in response to a user question and want to say "here read this" you can.

Here are the general docs

  http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
  http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

Looks promising.

-David

Re: Website, examples and the Apache CMS

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Nice explanation on how to convert our existing cwiki markup to markdown

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/conversion-utilities/cwiki/README.txt

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: Website, examples and the Apache CMS

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On May 30, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> This looks really nice to me. You did mention the example documentation
> could potentially use cms, what about the main website. Looks like final
> goal of infra is to do away with Confluence from all projects. Could be a
> good opportunity to host our 4.x docs based on this system.

Ultimately the CMS is about keeping all site html in svn and using that to distribute to the actual webserver -- svn commit notifications cause the webserver to update the checkout of the html files.

The "how the html is generated" part is really a secondary part.

We're generating html now via Confluence+Autoexport.  If we just checked in all the html we could start using at least that part of the CMS now.

We could continue using Confluence for as long as we wanted but also get the option to dig into some of the svn/markdown based stuff.

-David

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi