Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Guy Katz <gk...@allot.com> on 2004/06/15 10:30:41 UTC

[dbcp] strange error

is anyone familiar with this exception.
i found some threads discussing this but did not understand.
my situation is that the i am using tomcat 5.0.12+mysql+ data source
configured on tomcat in my application scope.

at first i did not have the connector-j (driver) jar anywhere. i got a good
message stating "Cannot load JDBC driver class 'com.mysql....'"
now, i have the connector-j in my web-inf\lib and i get this which is
slightly different. due to the fact that the message is different i fear
that the driver was loaded and that this is another problem.
i know this jar should be in the common/lib but due to a shared hosting
environment i am trying other places to put it first.
can this be a problem caused by the fact that the jar is not on the
common/lib? how come the message changed when i put the jar is the
web-inf/lib?
thanks in advance.

ava.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.jav
a:529)
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:3
12)
	at
com.consult.waves.util.web.ApplicationListener.tryFromDS(ApplicationListener
.java:77)
	at
com.consult.waves.util.web.ApplicationListener.contextInitialized(Applicatio
nListener.java:101)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:
3677)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4108)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:8
66)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:850)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:614)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.j
ava:315)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:835)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:723
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:473)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1067)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:371)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
t.java:166)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.backgroundProcess(StandardHost.java:80
3)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processC
hildren(ContainerBase.java:1658)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processC
hildren(ContainerBase.java:1667)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(Cont
ainerBase.java:1647)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'

Re: [dbcp] strange error

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Are you getting a BasicDataSource from tomcat using JNDI or are you
creating your own BasicDataSource?

The best place to put your driver is next to the dbcp jar.

It's a strange error message, but that's normal with classloader
issues ;-)

-- Dirk