Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1998/09/17 14:38:32 UTC

WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

For those who didn't pay close attention to our STATUS file:
Wakeup friends, tomorrow is our proposed release day for 1.3.2.

The new automatic header check is in now comitted and our baby still builds
fine on some platforms I've already tested it.  Only a few minor bugfixes are
still waiting (the bigger DSO/mod_perl problem I and Doug were still unable to
solve successfully, so when we don't find a miracle we cannot solve it for
1.3.2).

In the meantime the Apache platform portability playground is now open: Please
grab the latest CVS versions and at least compile it once on all your
available platforms and give us feedback. The easiest and good way (according
to the test results we can expect) is to run the following steps:

  $ CC=gcc \
    OPTIM='-O -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align \
           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations \
           -Wnested-externs -Winline' \
    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/apache \
                --enable-shared=remain
  $ make
  $ make install
  $ /tmp/apache/sbin/apachectl start
  $ lynx -mime_header -source http://localhost/
  $ /tmp/apache/sbin/apachectl stop

This builds Apache with GCC and a reasonable amount of warnings (which our
baby already passes 100% clean and without complains under FreeBSD, Linux and
Solaris), with a reasonable amount of enabled modules (only the problematic
ones are disabled) and with DSO enabled for all non-standard modules.  This
way you check most of the sources and build stuff while testing.

When something breaks feel free to fix it ;-) Don't wait until we want to roll
the tarball tomorrow. Then it's too late for in-depth portability tests.
So, test it _NOW_, please!!

Thanks.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Compiles and runs under AIX 4.2.1 using xlC V3.1.4.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Dan Jacobowitz <dr...@false.org>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 02:38:32PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> For those who didn't pay close attention to our STATUS file:
> Wakeup friends, tomorrow is our proposed release day for 1.3.2.
>
> The new automatic header check is in now comitted and our baby still builds
> fine on some platforms I've already tested it.  Only a few minor bugfixes are
> still waiting (the bigger DSO/mod_perl problem I and Doug were still unable to
> solve successfully, so when we don't find a miracle we cannot solve it for
> 1.3.2).

And so I brave the wrath - I realize completely it's an ugly hack and
should not be necessary, but is there any chance of my glibc 2.0.95
patch making it in?  If there is I'll grab 1.3.2-dev and redo it using
SHARED_CHAIN in the next few hours.

Dan

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 10:09:03AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >
> >   $ CC=gcc \
> >     OPTIM='-O -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align \
> >            -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations \
> >            -Wnested-externs -Winline' \
> >     ./configure --prefix=/tmp/apache \
> >                 --enable-shared=remain
>
> BTW, when I did this exact thing, line-breaks and all, on RH 4.2,
> I got the following error:
>
> Syntax error --- The configuration file is used only to
> define the list of included modules or to set Makefile in src
> options or Configure rules, and I don't see that at all:
>            -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
>            -Wnested-externs -Winline

Get rid of the slashes in the OPTIM variable; the single-quotes make
them unnecessary:

  $ CC=gcc \
    OPTIM='-O -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
           -Wnested-externs -Winline' \
    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/apache \
                --enable-shared=remain

"Lawyers are the first refuge of the incompetent." - Aaron Allston

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

>   $ CC=gcc \
>     OPTIM='-O -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align \
>            -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations \
>            -Wnested-externs -Winline' \
>     ./configure --prefix=/tmp/apache \
>                 --enable-shared=remain

BTW, when I did this exact thing, line-breaks and all, on RH 4.2,
I got the following error:

Syntax error --- The configuration file is used only to
define the list of included modules or to set Makefile in src
options or Configure rules, and I don't see that at all:
           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
           -Wnested-externs -Winline

#ken	P-)}

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Pulled the code from CVS and built the server under Windows NT. Builds
fine. Relatively clean compile, much improved over 1.3.1 (warnings in
mod_isapi, mod_negotiation, mod_include, and several proxy modules).
Ran some quick tests against mod_status, mod_include, mod_cgi, serving
static content, starting and stopping as a service and via command
line.

FYI, our test team has been banging away on 1.3.2-dev running on NT,
Solaris and AIX for about a month now and they haven't uncovered any new
defects.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@netcetera.dk>.

This should also go to (current|stable)-testers@apache.org.

> When something breaks feel free to fix it ;-) Don't wait until we want to roll
> the tarball tomorrow. Then it's too late for in-depth portability tests.
> So, test it _NOW_, please!!

It works fine on Linuxppc.

ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - http://www.netcetera.dk/

Re: WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> For those who didn't pay close attention to our STATUS file:
> Wakeup friends, tomorrow is our proposed release day for 1.3.2.

I really think that release should be delayed.  There has been no move
towards release except for the status file saying there will be, and there
have been some major changes committed too recently.  When the include
changes that broke lots of things were committed right before a previous
version, the excuse was "oh, what could they possibly break?  And they
obviously work fine".  Yet no one with any RLimit* directives on any BSD
system rebuilt before the release, since there was little time, and no one
noticed the problem.

Wait until after the weekend.