Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/02/06 09:22:42 UTC

[string] 1.1

I'd like to release a 1.1 version of the String taglib. I expect the
EL-isation to be the most questionable feature. I am happy for it to be
2.0 if need be.

Changes:

WordWrap exception fixed.
Replace now has a sneaky hack to allow newline replacement.
EL-ized. The library works 'naturally' with JSTL's EL format. The way of
    doing this is to only try to use EL if the class can be found in the
    classpath [Jakarta's Standard taglib's util class for EL].
    It seems to work de-facto, but the solution may not be legal for
    JVM's de-jure.
Metaphone. Fixed copyright in source.
All tags: Fixed reuse of Tag inside a looping Tag bug.

What do people think?

Hen

Re: [string] 1.1

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
The release is hopefully made. I've ended up pissing around with 4
different cvs branches on my machine [1-0-1 which I accidentally made
early, 1-0, HEAD and a fork of HEAD which is broken] so it's a little
tentative. But it looks good :)

I'll wait for the site to update and announce things tomorrow.

Hen

Re: [string] 1.1

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

>>It would also be nice if you could port your bug fix patches to the 1.0 branch
>>of the string taglib so a 1.0.1 release could be done.
>

> Best way to deal with this? Branch 1.0 to a 1.0.1 branch and apply changes
> to that?
>
> Hen

I think I would just tag the 1.0 branch (no need for a real CVS branch),
then make the changes there. Then branch to 1.0.1 when you make the release.

Glenn

Re: [string] 1.1

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [string] 1.1

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Before releasing a taglib which uses the EL I think it is very important
> to have a seperate EL build and download with documentation of how the
> EL works.

We could do what Sun do for EL and just link to Shawn's book? :)

+1 on needing a separate build/download for the EL. It's also tempting to
make a branch, EL-hack and release an informal one of these, but generally
just not bother until JSP 2.0 comes out.

> It would also be nice if you could port your bug fix patches to the 1.0 branch
> of the string taglib so a 1.0.1 release could be done.

Will do. One 1.0.1 coming up.

Hen

Re: [string] 1.1

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> I'd like to release a 1.1 version of the String taglib. I expect the
> EL-isation to be the most questionable feature. I am happy for it to be
> 2.0 if need be.
>
> Changes:
>
> WordWrap exception fixed.
> Replace now has a sneaky hack to allow newline replacement.
> EL-ized. The library works 'naturally' with JSTL's EL format. The way of
>     doing this is to only try to use EL if the class can be found in the
>     classpath [Jakarta's Standard taglib's util class for EL].
>     It seems to work de-facto, but the solution may not be legal for
>     JVM's de-jure.
> Metaphone. Fixed copyright in source.
> All tags: Fixed reuse of Tag inside a looping Tag bug.
>

> What do people think?

Before releasing a taglib which uses the EL I think it is very important
to have a seperate EL build and download with documentation of how the
EL works.

It would also be nice if you could port your bug fix patches to the 1.0 branch
of the string taglib so a 1.0.1 release could be done.

Regards,

Glenn