Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com> on 2013/02/07 11:43:47 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Hi,

Because of issues relative to locales in the SDK 4.9 which are fixed on 4.10
develop branch:

- Can't use Flash Builder for projects using locales other than en_US
- Can't use the apache and experimental lib  with locales other than english

I think a new release needs to be done.

Before doing it, I would like to make a call to contributors, committers to
translate locales for the apache and experimental lib.
Before writing this call and the instructions to translate the locales in
the user list, I would like you to tell me if there are some objections
first and who is volunteer to be release manager for the 4.10 (I think I
can't as I'm not PMC).

Thanks,
-Fred

Posted by Bjorn Svensson <bs...@esri.com>.
FYI - This 4.9.1 RC1 fixes at least the "locale" issue that I had --- with the workaround being to manually replace en_US with {locale} in framework/flex-config.xml file.

I tested using command line mxmlc and with the 4.9.1 release candidate I no longer have to edit the framework/flex-config.xml file.

Thank you :)
Bjorn

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I made a 4.9.1 release candidate if you want to check it out and see if it fixes the locale issue. Alex wants a few other fixes into the 4.9.1 release so we'll hold off on voting it in as an official release.

Apache Flex 4.9.1 RC can be found here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.9.1/rc1/

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is there any update for Flex 4.10..? Is the flex dev team come to a
> conclusion for the locale issue..?

Is it an issue that you can replicate? At this point I think it would be easier to release a 4.9.1 rather than a 4.10 as no has step forward willing  to do so. If the suggested "{locale}" change fixes this issue I'll add that to 4.9 and make a 4.9.1 release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Posted by Jagan Langa Sami Durai <ja...@sybrant.com>.
Hi All,

--
*
Regards,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

- The line 37 is for the default locale
- The line 83 is where FB gonna find the other ones

If you look at SDK 4.6/4.8, it is as I recommend and it worked for eveyboby,
I really don't know how your project can find the other resource bundles.

I really want to know if others have problems working with locales at this
point.

Thnaks,
-Fred

> How looks like your flex-config.xml in ./framework at line 83 ?

<path-element>locale/en_US</path-element>

And line 37 is:
<locale-element>en_US</locale-element>

> How looks like, in your FB/SDK 4.9 project, the SDK library path (project
> properties), is there a reference to a {locale} folder as it should ?
No it just points to the base path of the SDK in my case
/Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlex4.9SDK

Both merged into code and RSL option make no difference and both work BTW.

Justin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing 4.10 release (was: locale problems w/ eclipse and SDK 4.9)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> I just tried a simple program with a couple of locales (fr_FR and eu_AU
> and en_US) and had no issues with the 4.9 release SDK. I changed the
> locale by editing the additional compiler arguments eg -locale fr_FR so
> not 100% sure what the issue is here.

It's what we did too, with no luck.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Oh, I didn't say but yes, maybe a 4.9.1 is better.

-Fred

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.