Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by paul_b <pb...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/04 10:29:54 UTC

Need an example of user authentication for BOTH proxy and target???

Hi,
  I have been looking on the internet and unable to find an example of the
DefaultHttpClient class with the capability of using user authentication for
both proxy and target.  I can see from the document that there are examples
of user authentication for either proxy and target, both not both!  I can
see examples of older libraries with this scenario, but not the latest.  I
would much appreciate if someone could post an example.

Cheers,
  paul

Re: Need an example of user authentication for BOTH proxy and target???

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 02:38 -0700, paul_b wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  Looking at my code, which I think there is nothing
> different than the examples, I cant see how...  I have included a snippet of
> my code below.  I was expecting something in the ConnRoutePNames according
> to what you say but there doesnt seem to be.
>
> 		httpclient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(
> 				new AuthScope(PROXY_URL, PROXY_PORT),
> 				new UsernamePasswordCredentials(credentials.getUsername(),
> credentials.getPassword()));
> 		HttpHost proxy = new HttpHost(PROXY_URL, PROXY_PORT);
> 		httpclient.getParams().setParameter(ConnRoutePNames.DEFAULT_PROXY,
> 				proxy);

Careful with the PROXY_URL variable. It must contain a hostname (such as
locahost), not a URL (such as http://localhost/).

All you have to do is to add credentials for the target host:

httpclient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(
 new AuthScope(PROXY_HOST, PROXY_PORT),
 new UsernamePasswordCredentials("user:password");
httpclient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(
 new AuthScope(TARGET_HOST, TARGET_PORT),
 new UsernamePasswordCredentials("user:password");
HttpHost proxy = new HttpHost(PROXY_HOST, PROXY_PORT);
httpclient.getParams().setParameter(
  ConnRoutePNames.DEFAULT_PROXY, proxy);

Oleg

Posted by paul_b <pb...@gmail.com>.