Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/04/01 09:29:45 UTC

[Proposal] Merge Struts Scripting into Struts Extras

I propose, as my final proposal for Struts Action 1 (for now ;)), that
we merge Struts Scripting into Struts Extras.  While Struts Scripting
has seen a quality release, I don't feel it meets all the standards for
a subproject, namely it doesn't have its own solid community that
necessitates its own release.  For a while I thought it might evolve
into a bastion for scripting support in Struts Action and perhaps Shale
and Action 2, but that hasn't happened.  It remains a very small library
that only works with Struts Action 1, and doesn't have a strong
community of users or developers.

Struts extras is a good place for it, I feel, because it is an optional,
yet supported addon library.  I'll give this proposal a few days to
gather feedback, and absent any -1's, I'll perform the work early this week.

A quick side note why I'm proposing these changes.  My goal is to
simplify what the Struts project is to both its developers and its
users.  I think the last few months have shown our community is
interested in using and developing Action, Shale, and Tiles, and I'd
like our project structure, releases, and documentation to reflect this
reality.  I want there to be a clear message to our users what Struts is
and what it can do for them.

Thanks for your patience :)

Don

Re: [Proposal] Merge Struts Scripting into Struts Extras

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/3/06, Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to amend this to bringing scripting into action1 as its own
> artifact, rather than integrating the code with extras.  It will be easier
> and since it already has its own build, it should fit fine the way it is.

I guess I'm going through the same thinking process that you've just been
through. ;-) At first, Extras seemed like the logical place. A little more
thought suggests that keeping it as its own build artifact not only makes
the changes simpler, but it also eliminates my main concern with adding it
to Extras. Since it has had a release already, we'll want to keep some
semblance of normalcy to the version numbering, which will be easier if it
has its own version number.

Frankly, if we move it from its own sub-project to being a component of
Action 1, I doubt that many people would even notice.

--
Martin Cooper

PS - I actually think this is cool stuff, but since I do things the
1.3Action-less way these days, now I want scriptable Commons Chain
Commands.
;-)

Don

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.