Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@pbw.id.au> on 2006/03/24 08:13:41 UTC

Hyphenation

FYI

Reworked hyphenation has been committed to Folio. It implements TeX's
discretionary hyphen in the patterns and exceptions. Takes more space
and runs more slowly. For the discretionary hyphens to work, the
hyphenation pattern files will have to be changed to reflect this, which
could be very useful for old German orthography, at least.

HyphenationTree.hyphenate returns a WordHyphenator which includes the
discretionary patterns. In fact, all inter-letter positions are marked
by discretionary patterns, mostly degenerate.

Oh, and it requires javax.xml.stream to build; i.e. Mustang.
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Clay Leeds <we...@mac.com>.
On Mar 24, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Peter B. West wrote:
> Clay,
>
> I wasn't expecting that the HyphenationTree would find its way into
> FOP, not least because of the stream parsing requirement. It was
> strictly an FYI post for anyone who is interested in hyphenation
> issues.
>
> Peter

Thanks for the clarification! Sorry for the confusion.

Clay Leeds
webmaestro@mac.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Clay Leeds <we...@mac.com>.

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.

Re: Hyphenation

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 23, 2006, at 11:13 PM, Peter B. West wrote:
> FYI
>
> Reworked hyphenation has been committed to Folio. It implements
> TeX's discretionary hyphen in the patterns and exceptions. Takes
> more space and runs more slowly. For the discretionary hyphens to
> work, the hyphenation pattern files will have to be changed to
> reflect this, which could be very useful for old German
> orthography, at least.
>
> HyphenationTree.hyphenate returns a WordHyphenator which includes
> the discretionary patterns. In fact, all inter-letter positions are
> marked by discretionary patterns, mostly degenerate.
>
> Oh, and it requires javax.xml.stream to build; i.e. Mustang.
> --
> Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
> Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

Thank you for letting us know. What are the implications for folks
running Java 1.3.x, 1.4.x or even 1.5 who can't upgrade to Mustang
(Java 1.6)?

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet