Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by na...@reactor8.com on 2015/04/28 22:38:10 UTC

testing new repo setup/experiments

Hello Bigtoppers,

Looking into some package evolution as next infrastructure and CI process is
built out after 1.0 release.

I have setup a hello world example of new yum and apt repo serving on new
AWS infrastructure.  If you have a moment and want to help test give a try,
either apt(from trusty bits) or yum (from centos6 bits) from 0.8 build.

Apt Repo:

------------------

# Bigtop Test

deb http://apt.bigtop.rocks bigtop contrib

Yum Repo:

-----------------

[bigtop]

name=Bigtop

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

type=NONE

baseurl=http://yum.bigtop.rocks

Goal is to have solid/scalable packaging repos for both deb's/rpm's that
isn't dependent on being served from bigtop CI machine or needing users to
set stuff up themselves.

Another item which I haven't dug into too much yet, but would like to get
views from the group and start to document is breaking down packages and
their dependencies, getting to a "bigtop core" and not having extra items
pulled in kitchen sink style.

Thanks to AWS folks for supporting the group and providing the
infrastructure for this experiment.

RE: testing new repo setup/experiments

Posted by na...@reactor8.com.
Thinking of the following:

-using as official repos, removing package serving from the Jenkins server, especially as project migrates more towards new AWS setup and idea of ephemeral CI where we don’t worry about build servers coming/going

-instead of managing repo servers aim to publish/serve packages from something more resilient and unmanaged (such as this case using S3)

-have a "nightlies" repo which would basically be live packages from the last successful build/packaging.., instead of nightly might be 0 or more times per day.., hopefully at least once.  People who want to experiment/test and be on the bleeding edge could pull from it

This can be one of the several pieces that can be put into place going beyond 1.0 release looking at taking the component mgmt. and CI/build processes through their next iteration(s)

I've tried to user the Apt repo in a fresh container and it is clearly working like a charm. I see 0.8 packages after 'apt-get update'

Are you envision this to be used as official release repos (in place of what we are doing right now)? Or you think of providing a similar approach for more frequent, say weekly/monthly, updates as the work on a current release progresses?

Thanks!
  Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Nate.