Posted to user@spark.apache.org by sim <si...@swoop.com> on 2015/08/09 05:58:25 UTC

Re: Spark inserting into parquet files with different schema

Adam, did you find a solution for this?

Re: Spark inserting into parquet files with different schema

Posted by Simeon Simeonov <si...@swoop.com>.
Michael, please, see http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/Schema-evolution-in-tables-tt23999.html

The exception is

java.lang.RuntimeException: Relation[ ... ] org.apache.spark.sql.parquet.ParquetRelation2@83a73a05
 requires that the query in the SELECT clause of the INSERT INTO/OVERWRITE statement generates the same number of columns as its schema.

Is this behavior expected? Shall I create a JIRA issue if it is not?

From: Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM
To: Simeon Simeonov <si...@swoop.com>>
Cc: user <us...@spark.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Spark inserting into parquet files with different schema

What is the error you are getting?  It would also be awesome if you could try with Spark 1.5 when the first preview comes out (hopefully early next week).

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Simeon Simeonov <si...@swoop.com>> wrote:
Michael, is there an example anywhere that demonstrates how this works with the schema changing over time?

Must the Hive tables be set up as external tables outside of saveAsTable? In my experience, in 1.4.1, writing to a table with SaveMode.Append fails if the schema don't match.

Thanks,
Sim

From: Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM
To: Simeon Simeonov <si...@swoop.com>>
Cc: user <us...@spark.apache.org>>

Older versions of Spark (i.e. when it was still called SchemaRDD instead of DataFrame) did not support merging different parquet schema.  However, Spark 1.4+ should.

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

From: Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM
To: Simeon Simeonov <si...@swoop.com>>