Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 07:47:18 UTC

Re: [classlib] Intention to work on java.lang.instrument

On 7/31/06, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/7/31, Jimmy, Jing Lv <fi...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > >       Besides, Harmony VM now has actually support the feature of
> JVMTI
> > > on which we can implement instrument.
> > >

> > Ah, can it work now? It'll be great convenient if so.
>

> Hello. The drlvm does support a subset of JVMTI. Class loading events are
> supported, ClassFileLoadHook which may be used for load time class
> instrumentation is supported too. But there is no support for
> RedefineClasses yet if you need to change classes bytecode after the class
> was loaded already.
>

> > >    After some study on this, I find Java interface classes/interfaces
> 5.
> test
> in
> some
> > >

> > >      As the main function of instruments is to add and remove
> > transformers
> > > to some classes, I suggest implement it as an agent of JVMTI. That is
> > > register callback functions, which actually transform the byte stream
> of
> > > some specified classes,  to the events that is relevent to instrument
> in
> > > JVMTI including
> > > the class loading.
> > >

> > Yes, that's the way.
>

> I agree with this approach. Do you know which API functions and events you
> will need for such agent?

 Hi, we will need VM Initialization Event to run premain functions and Class
File Load Hook Event for agents to instruct the existing class file. As to
the jvmti API, we need RedefineClasses,GetObjectSize and Allocate. Besides,
AddCapabilities is also required to turn on the capability of the VM, such
as can_generate_all_class_hook_events and can_redefine_classes.

Since we have just planned to implement this module, please excuse me if I
leave some requirements about it. :)

Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib] Intention to work on java.lang.instrument

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 09:47 Leo Li wrote:
> > > I agree with this approach. Do you know which API functions and events
> > > you will need for such agent?
> >
> >  Hi, we will need VM Initialization Event to run premain functions and
> > Class File Load Hook Event for agents to instruct the existing class
> file.
> > As to the jvmti API, we need RedefineClasses,GetObjectSize and Allocate.
> > Besides, AddCapabilities is also required to turn on the capability of
> the
> > VM, such as can_generate_all_class_hook_events and can_redefine_classes.
> >
> > Since we have just planned to implement this module, please excuse me if
> > leave some requirements about it. :)
>
> It is not a problem. I just wanted to know which areas are required, not
> every
> single API function :)
>
> All of the functions and events that you mentioned are implemented already
> except for RedefineClasses. It is on the TODO list for drlvm.

Good! Maybe we can test instruments on drlvm some day.:)

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
Leo Li wrote:

>> JVMTI
>> > >

>> > Ah, can it work now? It'll be great convenient if so.
>>

>> Hello. The drlvm does support a subset of JVMTI. Class loading events are
>> supported, ClassFileLoadHook which may be used for load time class
>> instrumentation is supported too. But there is no support for
>> RedefineClasses yet if you need to change classes bytecode after the
>> class
>> was loaded already.

>> 5.
>> test
>> in
>> some

>> > transformers
>> of
>> in
>> > >

>> > Yes, that's the way.
>>

>> I agree with this approach. Do you know which API functions and events
>> you
>> will need for such agent?

Thanks you Gregory :) Refer to JVMTI Functions doc[1], I think functions
of Memory Management/Class/Capability is necessary.

[1]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/jvmti.html#FunctionIndex

> Hi, we will need VM Initialization Event to run premain functions and Class
> File Load Hook Event for agents to instruct the existing class file. As to
> the jvmti API, we need RedefineClasses,GetObjectSize and Allocate. Besides,
> AddCapabilities is also required to turn on the capability of the VM, such
> as can_generate_all_class_hook_events and can_redefine_classes.

That's detail, thanks :)

> Since we have just planned to implement this module, please excuse me if I
> leave some requirements about it. :)

And for VM guys ,the launcher with parameter "-javaagent":)

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM