Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by André Mud <an...@testdynamics.nl> on 2008/11/26 10:17:40 UTC

Retrieve embedded images

I do not have a specific question. I want to verify my understanding of
certain settings in Jmeter.
I want to simulate reallife usage by of client to a website. To do this I
use the setting "retrieve all embedded resources".
This way when a user hits the site all content is downloaded as would have
done if a user hits the site with a browser.
When a user hits the site twice with a browser, some of the content is not
downloaded because it is in cache (images, js, css etc).
To simulate this on jmeter I include a CacheManager.
Am I correct so far?

When I record a testplan I see the HTTP request to the website + all
requests to images, js, css on that website. I normally remove all this
content and leave the top request to the website. When I set "retrieve all
embedded resources" will all the extra content be downloaded which I deleted
in the script? So I could leave the original script as is, and don't use
"retrieve all embedded resources"?

Your comments will be greatly appriciated

With regards,
Andre Mud

Re: Retrieve embedded images

Posted by Esteve Graells <es...@gmail.com>.
Versy useful explanation for me as well.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/11/2008, André Mud <an...@testdynamics.nl> wrote:
> >
> >  I do not have a specific question. I want to verify my understanding of
> >  certain settings in Jmeter.
> >  I want to simulate reallife usage by of client to a website. To do this
> >  use the setting "retrieve all embedded resources".
> >  This way when a user hits the site all content is downloaded as would
> have
> >  done if a user hits the site with a browser.
>
> JMeter can only download statically referenced content. It does not
> parse Javascript.
>
> >  When a user hits the site twice with a browser, some of the content is
> not
> >  downloaded because it is in cache (images, js, css etc).
> >  To simulate this on jmeter I include a CacheManager.
> >  Am I correct so far?
>
> Yes, the CacheManager simulates the browser cache by checking for
> upated versions of previously loaded resources.
>
> >  When I record a testplan I see the HTTP request to the website + all
> >  requests to images, js, css on that website. I normally remove all this
> >  content and leave the top request to the website. When I set "retrieve
> all
> >  embedded resources" will all the extra content be downloaded which I
> deleted
> >  in the script? So I could leave the original script as is, and don't use
> >  "retrieve all embedded resources"?
>
> Yes, if you add the Cache Manager it should be OK to leave the script as
> is.
>
> >  Your comments will be greatly appriciated
> >
> >  With regards,
> >  Andre Mud
> >
> > --

Esteve Graells