Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Reibert <sv...@reibert.com> on 2007/08/29 06:25:43 UTC

Re: Problem committing .doc files

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 00:25 -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> When I edit a .doc file using MS Word 2003, on occasion I get the error
> stating my "working copy may be out-of-date."  This message repeats even
> after I 'svn up' and try to re-commit.  The only 2 solutions I have
> found are:

If you have edited the (non-text-mergeable, aka binary) file then 'svn
up' will simply leave you with a merge conflict that must be manually
resolved. After doing so you should be able to commit. See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.branchmerge.copychanges.html#svn.branchmerge.copychanges.bestprac.merge

Note this has nothing to do with a .doc file, per se, but rather it is a
situation that will result from simultaneous edits on a file that cannot
be textually merged. Your best bet is to avoid this situation via locks
and the svn:needs-lock property. See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.locking.html#svn.advanced.locking.lock-communication

Re: Problem committing .doc files

Posted by Glen Barber <he...@gmail.com>.
Quoting T. Wassermann:
> Hi,
>
> nothing to the topic - but Glen, can you check your system date and this of
> your mailserver?
>
> By now it's 08/29/2007 9:43 UTC - your last mail is timestamped with
> 08/30/2007 10:18. Writing from the future, eh? ;)
>
> Bye
>

> Tobias

Hmm.. now that I actually thought about the Geographics of our world, I
realized my time IS off.  Thanks for pointing that out!
--
Glen Barber

Re: Problem committing .doc files

Posted by Glen Barber <he...@gmail.com>.
Quoting T. Wassermann:
> Hi,
>
> nothing to the topic - but Glen, can you check your system date and this of
> your mailserver?
>
> By now it's 08/29/2007 9:43 UTC - your last mail is timestamped with
> 08/30/2007 10:18. Writing from the future, eh? ;)
>
> Bye

I am from a different internet.  :)  As far as I can tell, my system
time and mailserver times are okay.  (Although, that made me wonder for
a few mintues if that was my SVN commit problem). At the time of this
writing, it is 5:15am EDT, so it may have been just because I literally
am a few hours ahead?

--
Glen Barber

Re: Problem committing .doc files

Posted by "T. Wassermann" <ma...@tobias-wassermann.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Reibert <sv...@reibert.com>.
On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 04:18 -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> Quoting Glen Barber:
> > Quoting Mark Reibert:
> >
> Actually -- neither of those docs helped... I created locks for the
> files, not realizing at first what I was doing (it's late, and i'm tired
> :P ).  I am the only editor of those files... I edit from 1 of 2
> operating systems, Linux (Ubuntu Feisty, specifically, and Windows XP
> Home).  Creating locks created more problems (that I can tell).
>
> Any other ideas?

Not exactly. I am wondering what kind of problems the lock created.

SVN locks are tied to a particular working copy, not just a user. If you
are editing from multiple systems then, from the lock's perspective,
there are multiple editors and you would need to release the lock from
one system before obtaining it from the other. (Alternatively, you can
break the lock.)

Did you read:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.locking.html#svn.advanced.locking.creation

In particular, the "Regarding lock tokens" inset (yellow-ish) box a
little down the page?

Re: Problem committing .doc files

Posted by Glen Barber <he...@gmail.com>.
Quoting Glen Barber: