Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stanislas Renan <st...@volcane.fr> on 2004/07/02 12:56:12 UTC

[users@httpd] [win32][PHP] UNC path vs mapping

Hi,

I've got a strange behaviour with apache 2.0.49 running a PHP (4.3.7)
script, and I don't know if it is a bug, and if it's a bug, if it is
related to PHP or apache.

I use a virtual host, with a document root on a network drive (on a
linux box, with samba).
If I configure the virtual host with a path like "z:/path", everything
works fine BUT apache cannot run as a service, as the z: mapping is done
  in the interactive session environment.
In this configuration, the PHP command "exec('cd')" outputs "z:\path".

Thus, I use the preferred UNC notation for my virtual host :
"//host/share/path" . But if I do that, the PHP command "exec('cd')"
outputs "c:\windows".

Therefore all my commands executed through exec() have a different
behaviour depending on the notation of the DocumentRoot (there's also a
Directory directive for the same location), even if, physically, it
points to the same location.

I had to stop considering running apache as a service for this
configuration (hopefully, it's only a development system).

So, is it a bug ? and if so, an apache one, or a PHP one ?
My opinion is that it is a bug, as it prevents me from running the
application as a service in this network configuration.

Stanislas Renan
http://www.volcane.fr/