Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Griffith <jg...@nd.edu> on 2022/04/05 14:33:00 UTC

Tomcat ownership changed spontaneously

Hi,

I'm running a webapp under Tomcat 9 on Ubuntu 20.04.  We run Tomcat as an
ad-hoc system user who owns the Tomcat installation files.

On Friday, the app stopped working.  Over the weekend, I determined that
the problem was that something had reset the ownership of the Tomcat
installation files to the 'tomcat' user so that the webapp no longer had
permission to access its own files.  I had to spend a couple of days poring
through my notes to figure out what ownership was required for what files
and then manually change everything that needed it back to our ad-hoc user.

Since this change affected only Tomcat files, I can only guess that an
update from Tomcat altered the ownership of these files.  Did any recent
Tomcat update change file and folder ownership of the Tomcat installation
to force them to the 'tomcat' user?

Joel

RE: Tomcat ownership changed spontaneously

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
This is another reason why separating CATALINA_HOME from CATALINA_BASE is a good thing.

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Infrastructure Engineer
Asst Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by Joel Griffith <jg...@nd.edu>.
> If you use a third-party package for Tomcat (e.g. apt-get), you may be
> seeing something coming from /them/. did you recently get any new
> updates from Ubuntu or any other repositories you use?

I don't have a record of specific updates, but I run `apt upgrade`
regularly and originally installed Tomcat using `apt`.  I'll check with
Canonical, then, I guess.  Thanks for the info!

Joel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Joel,