Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/02/03 16:25:43 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Hi all,

This is to call for a vote for releasing slider-0.61.0-incubating.

This is a source+binary release, with the same actual source as the previous slider-0.60.0-incubating release. We've done this for downstream projects;
once the release process is successfully reworked we'll use it in future
"feature" releases.

Summary of fixes in this release
http://s.apache.org/7rQ

Artifacts at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheslider-1003/

Git source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-slider.git;a=commit;h=64a8bac068e6801748fb973dbfb590bc62c60935

PGP keys at
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=stevel@apache.org

Vote thread :  http://s.apache.org/Xpd

Results : http://s.apache.org/AsJ

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ] +0 no opinion

The Apache Slider Team

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

On 9 February 2015 at 14:02:49, Justin Mclean (justin@classsoftware.com<ma...@classsoftware.com>) wrote:

HI,

> Would it be OK if we addressed all of the issues in that release? You've identified them, which will make checking them easy. And as we plan to get that out by the end of the month, it won't be long before the "latest" release is considered all lined up.

Up to you really as you have enough +1 votes to make this an official release.

Let's see what the others say. As I said, I'd like to get this out the door as-is for compatibility with the source only version shipped; then I can focus on a new-feature-release 0.70-inc which will have cut back on the .py source tree enough to eliminate all these issues

> We're not actually bundling accumulo, it's just in the source for anyone to build a deployable package of that or HBase.

How is that different from bundling?

we didn't include any of the accumulo artifacts in the binary release; the source release contains enough stuff + instructions to walk someone through that part of the build.

> Accordingly, I don't think this is an issue.

Again up to you but IMO it's important that LICENCE and NOTICE reflect what is in the source package.

thanks,

steve

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Would it be OK if we addressed all of the issues in that release? You've identified them, which will make checking them easy. And as we plan to get that out by the end of the month, it won't be long before the "latest" release is considered all lined up.

Up to you really as you have enough +1 votes to make this an official release.

> We're not actually bundling accumulo, it's just in the source for anyone to build a deployable package of that or HBase.

How is that different from bundling?

> Accordingly, I don't think this is an issue.

Again up to you but IMO it's important that LICENCE and NOTICE reflect what is in the source package.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

After a quick email exchange with our mentors, I'm going to publish the 0.61.0-incubating release as voted through, with the 0.7x release process to begin shortly —the latter to address all licensing inconsistencies in .py dependencies.

Announcement to follow.

-Steve

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

On 9 February 2015 at 16:58:44, Marvin Humphrey (marvin@rectangular.com<ma...@rectangular.com>) wrote:

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:31 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> On 8 February 2015 at 22:57:05, Justin Mclean (justinmclean@me.com<ma...@me.com>) wrote:

> Would it be OK if we addressed all of the issues in that release? You've
> identified them, which will make checking them easy. And as we plan to get
> that out by the end of the month, it won't be long before the "latest"
> release is considered all lined up.

Steve, I think the test should be whether the IPMC feels comfortable
explaining in a Board report why this release was approved despite its flaws.

OK

For the record, I'm a little confused about this, from the initial VOTE email:

This is a source+binary release, with the same actual source as the
previous slider-0.60.0-incubating release.

The ASF does not release binaries. I didn't really want to raise this issue
now and I don't mean to block Slider's forward progress, but I can't comment
without mentioning it. My interpretation is that this is a VOTE on the source
release of 0.61.0, which happens to have identical sources to 0.60.0 -- no
reason why a release with only a version bump wouldn't be legit.

the main difference is that the 0.60 release was source only: no prebuilt binaries or artifacts in the maven repository. This release is intended to get the "convenience" binaries into the maven repository for downstream applications. In the process of doing this we've had to rework bits of the build and release process.

To summarise, it's a "Weakly automated source-re-release accompanied by convenience artifacts that will be pushed to maven central & some changes to the POM XML files to aid this"

With that out of the way, let me comment on the specific issues
already raised...

>> All source files have headers and there no unexpected binaries but looks to
>> be be a few license and notice issues:
>>
>> First off I think this needs to be double checked:
>> ./slider-agent/src/main/python/kazoo/tests/util.py
>>
>> The first line says it's Apache licensed, but the header says it ZPL
>> licensed, which looks like BSD so should be included in LICENSE.
>
> This looks like the key thing we have to resolve other than just by cutting
> the files. We can see what others have done with this bit of source and
> update the LICENSE file as appropriate.

I'm somewhat relieved when I look at the file. In my opinion, the first line
is obviously a mistake, because it is followed immediately by a prominent
conflicting license header.

This makes it distinct from the very similar case of Falcon's 0.5 RC5 from
last September, which the IPMC decided required a respin because it appeared
that jquery had been licensed under ALv2.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201409.mbox/%3C19512409-1631-41B4-89F7-85C2EB15880D%40classsoftware.com%3E

I would argue that both the bogus line and the omission from LICENSE are
licensing documentation bugs rather than licensing violations and should not
block.

thanks

>> The product looks to be bundling Apache Accumulo but is missing information from it's NOTICE file:
>> See /app-packages/accumulo/NOTICE.txt (or perhaps https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/master/NOTICE ?)
>
> We're not actually bundling accumulo, it's just in the source for anyone to
> build a deployable package of that or HBase. Accordingly, I don't think this
> is an issue.

The question is whether any Accumulo sources which read on Accumulo's LICENSE
and NOTICE files are included in the Slider source release. I see from
another email that the Slider community has been careful to exclude portions
which are not relevant rather than bloat the licensing documentation of the
source release. If that's in fact what Slider's doing, it's best practice --
kudos and thank you!

>> LICENSE also missing BSD licence for RealWorldish Benchmark
>> vi ./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/rwbench.py
>
> we can rm -rf the examples

Either mentioning in LICENSE or removing would address the licensing
documentation bug. But the inclusion of those files does not block, in my
opinion.

I've already cut test/ package from the development branch

>> The year in NOTICE is also incorrect.
>
> Yeah —saw that crop up with the Twill release, which was allowed through.
> Already fixed in our develop branch.
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/develop/NOTICE

I'll add a blurb to this month's report informing the Board that the Incubator
has been approving releases with this issue.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Slider 0.61.0-incubating

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

On 8 February 2015 at 22:57:05, Justin Mclean (justinmclean@me.com<ma...@me.com>) wrote:

Hi,

Sorry but it's -1 binding from me. Willing to change my vote if other incubator members think these issues are OK for this release and/or corrective action is taken for the next release.

You know, in theory the voting ended a few hours earlier —but what you've said matters so I want to address it.

This release, 0.61.0, is just a repacking of the source of 0.60.0, with changes to the build files to get that binary release out. We actually cancelled our first dev@ vote after Billie felt the transitive dependency license stuff of all the JARs we stuck in weren't validated; SLIDER-766 addressed that. So it's unfortunate that some of the .py stuff we're using for templating and testing are cause problems.

As soon as this maintenance release is over, we're going to cut the 0.70-incubating release, which has all the features and fixes done on the source since the 0.60.0-incubating release.

[...]

We're not actually bundling accumulo, it's just in the source for anyone to build a deployable package of that or HBase. Accordingly, I don't think this is an issue.

LICENSE also missing BSD licence for RealWorldish Benchmark
vi ./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/rwbench.py

we can rm -rf the examples

I also notice that this file ./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/docs/_templates/layout.html contains "Copyright 2010 by the Pocoo Team". Should that also be in LICENSE?

again, these could be culled

There are also several "Copyright 2008 by I don't know who." in .html files is that a concern?
./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/django/layout.html
./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/genshi/layout.html
./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/jinja/layout.html
./slider-agent/src/main/python/jinja2/examples/rwbench/mako/layout.html

all removable.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding).  Checked sigs, ran tests, checked NOTICE/LICENSE/DISCLAIMER.

-jg

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards