Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by KwonNam Son <kw...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/19 17:04:14 UTC

JSP ClassNotFoundException on Tomcat 6.0.29/30 Eclipse Helios WTP

I'm developing an web application on Eclipse Helios, WTP, Tomcat
6.0.29(and just upgraded to 6.0.30).

I suffer from ClassNotFoundException a lot of times on both 6.0.29/30.
It's not about usual classes or jar. It's about JSP generated java class.

For example, when I request /jsps/test.jsp, the stack trace looks like
the following.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jsp.jsps.test_blahblah.class

But org.apache.jsp.jspa.test_blahblah.class surely exists in the work
directory.

When this happens, I just shutdown the tomcat on eclipse and start it
again. That's all. Then the jsp works fine. But after a few minutes it
happens again.

What's the problem??
It does not happen on Jetty 7.

Thanks,
KwonNam.

Re: JSP ClassNotFoundException on Tomcat 6.0.29/30 Eclipse Helios WTP

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/01/2011 11:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 21/01/2011 06:58, Son KwonNam wrote:
>> I told when a jsp file is edited on Eclipse WTP, and published, the
>> tomcat work directory is removed and regenerated.
>>
>> I checked more and more and finally found out that this happens only
>> when the project web context root is "/" in Eclipse Project properties.
>>
>> When a project has other context root (except "/"), this
>> phenomenon(removing tomcat work directory) does not happen.
>
> That looks like the source of the problem. Tomcat doesn't expect some
> external process to remove the work directory. That is almost certainly
> what is at the root of the ClassNotFoundExceptions.
>
> Thanks for digging in to this. I'll do some tests today and see if I can
> figure out exactly what is going wrong.

I can't repeat this on a standard Tomcat 6.0.x or 7.0.x install.

If you have a test case that demonstrates this issue that doesn't
involve WTP then I'll happily take a look. In the meantime, this looks
like an issue for WTP.

Mark

Re: JSP ClassNotFoundException on Tomcat 6.0.29/30 Eclipse Helios WTP

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Son KwonNam <kw...@gmail.com>.
I told when a jsp file is edited on Eclipse WTP, and published, the
tomcat work directory is removed and regenerated.

I checked more and more and finally found out that this happens only
when the project web context root is "/" in Eclipse Project properties.

When a project has other context root (except "/"), this
phenomenon(removing tomcat work directory) does not happen.

Thanks,
KwonNam.

2011년 01월 21일 15:27, Son KwonNam 쓴 글:

Posted by Son KwonNam <kw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
>> I'm developing an web application on Eclipse Helios, WTP, Tomcat 6.0.29(and just upgraded to 6.0.30).
>>
>> I suffer from ClassNotFoundException a lot of times on both 6.0.29/30.
>> It's not about usual classes or jar. It's about JSP generated java class.
>>
>> For example, when I request /jsps/test.jsp, the stack trace looks like the following.
>>
>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jsp.jsps.test_blahblah.class
>>
>> But org.apache.jsp.jspa.test_blahblah.class surely exists in the work directory.
>>
>> When this happens, I just shutdown the tomcat on eclipse and start it again. That's all. Then the jsp works fine. But after a few minutes it happens again.
>
> This happens to us under Tomcat 6.0.29 if we rebuild a jar file that is in the ${CATALINA_HOME}/lib directory. Could this be your issue?

Sorry, please ignore, I didn't fully read your post, still drinking my morning coffee.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.