Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/02 06:09:38 UTC

The best architecture for EC2/Hadoop interface?

Hi,

I want to give my users a GUI that would allow them to start Hadoop clusters
and run applications that I will provide on the AMIs. What would be a good
approach to make it simple for the user? Should I write a Java Swing app
that will wrap around the EC2 commands? Should I use some more direct EC2
API? Or should I use a web browser interface?

My idea was to give the user a Java Swing GUI, so that he gives his Amazon
credentials to it, and it would be secure because the application is not
exposed to the outside. Does this approach make sense?

Thank you,
Mark

My project for which I want to do it: https://github.com/markkerzner/FreeEed

Re: The best architecture for EC2/Hadoop interface?

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.
Avoid Swing.

Try GWT, its quite nice.  http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/.
You get the Java debuggability, and a browser-based GUI.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.