Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Mark Livingstone <ml...@iprimus.com.au> on 2004/06/29 06:02:20 UTC

Some basic questions on setting up James

Hi Guys,

After a bit of help from Noel the other day, I have gotten James
installed and can successfully tart and stop it. I have created a first
user and for the moment have setup MySQL since I believe James comes
setup to use it with a minimum of extra work from me.

I have created a user in MySQL with permissions for the Mail database
for SELECT, INSERT, CREATE and DELETE.

I was going to rely on James to do the table setup as the docs suggest
it can do. While doing so I managed to lock root out of the database so
I now know how to fix that too ;-D

I am at the point of starting to mess with the configuration files.
Before I did though, I started thinking about my long term plans to
eventually help out the James project. Now if I was just going to be a
user, I could set it up and forget it until the next major release but
I'm wondering, for those who do testing how you have things setup? From
what I understand, everytime I do a build, I end up with a james.sar
file which I should stop james, drop it into place and restart. When I
do this however, won't it overwrite the config files I am about to setup?

Now, I also know nothing much about Phoenix or Java containerised
software and how it works. In the doc's there are suggestions that it
can be made to work as a service under Windows but can the same be done
under Mandrake 10 Linux?

TIA

MarkL