Posted to dev@crail.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2022/06/12 18:09:57 UTC

Retirement steps

The following are the steps to retire Crail, based on
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html#steps_to_retirement.
I have numbered the steps so that we can track them. Whoever is
carrying out the steps should reply to this email indicating which
steps they have completed.

Julian

-------------

Once the IPMC vote to retire the podling has closed, a
Mentor or other volunteer needs to perform the following
steps.

1. Update content/podlings.xml:

   a. Update podling status to "retired".

   b. Add an "enddate" attribute set to the date that the
      IPMC vote concluded.

   c. Remove the "reporting" element.

   d. Add the "resolution" element. (Follow the example of
      other recently retired podlings.)

2. Update the podling’s status page with a prominent message
   indicating when the podling retired: <p><span
   class="retired">The ${podling} podling retired on
   XXXX-XX-XX</span></p>.

3. Has the copyright checkbox of the podling’s incubation
   status page been checked off? If not, try to resolve
   it. If it cannot be resolved, the podling’s source code
   must be removed from version control.

4. It may be that the podling is moving or returning
   development elsewhere. If so, then modify the resolution
   attributes appropriately.

5. Delete the podling’s dist dir, so that its releases will
   no longer be mirrored:

   svn remove dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/${podling}

   Any incubating releases will still be available via
   archive.apache.org/dist/incubator.

6. Create a file RETIRED.txt at the top-level of each
   podling source repository. This should contain something
   like the following:

     This podling has been retired, please see:
     http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html##{podling-name}

7. If the podling has a DOAP referenced in the projects.xml
   file used for generating projects.apache.org, remove the
   entry.

8. Open a "task" INFRA JIRA ticket entitled "Retire the
   ${podling} Incubator podling". Open sub-tickets using
   "Create Sub-Task" as applicable:

   a. Close ${podling} mailing lists

   b. Make ${podling} version control read-only

   c. Move ${podling} JIRA to "retired" and set read-only

   d. Make ${podling} wiki read-only

   e. Turn off ${podling} automatic builds

   f. Remove LDAP entry of ${podling}

   g. Update ${podling} Incubator SVN if the podling uses SVN repo.

     i) Add entries to asf-mailer.conf and send mail to cvs
        at incubator.apache.org

     ii) Remove entries from asf-authorization - this makes
        the directory rw to the Incubator PMC.

9. Adding an empty index.html into the ${podling} directory
   as the other retired project does in
   https://github.com/apache/incubator/tree/master/assets/retired.
   The web server that hosts all the podling websites checks
   for a directory matching the host name, and redirects to
   the podling status file if it is present.

10. When all steps towards retirement are done, announce
   completeness on general@incubator.

11. Indicate that the podling is closed down in the next
   board report.

The user accounts of the projects committers do not need to be removed.

Re: Retirement steps

Posted by Jonas Pfefferle <pe...@japf.ch>.
Hi Julian.

Thank you for all your help. I'm out this week but can start with going
through the steps next week.

Jonas

Re: Retirement steps

Posted by Jonas <pe...@japf.ch.INVALID>.
I dug a bit in my old emails and found this JIRA issue which discusses the copyright (has been resolved):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRAIL-33

Jonas

Posted by Jonas Pfefferle <jo...@japf.ch.INVALID>.
Hi @all,