Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Ruchira Wageesha <rw...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/22 09:10:15 UTC

roller-atomexport

Hi,
I am a university student and interested in Roller-atomexport project idea.
I have done some projects regarding web services and have a good experience
in JAVA, JSP, REST, XML, WSDL, Web Services, XSLT, XPath. One of the project
i've done is here at http://ww2.wso2.org:8080/form2wsdl2test/ for testing
which is done using XSLT and Java. Although I have an experience in those
areas I am new to Abdera and Rome. but I am leaning these things right now.
Will these be enough to enrol  with roller-atomexport project? And also how
could I know more information regarding the requirements of the project?
wageesha

Re: roller-atomexport

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Comments below...

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fortunately it's not that difficult to implement the Atompub impl.
>  However, I'm not exactly sure what "roller-atomexport" means.

It's an idea for Google Summer of Code:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008#roller-atomexport

FYI: here are the details:

By accessing Roller's existing AtomPub interface you can get all of
your blog entries and all of your file uploads, but how do you get the
rest of your blog data out of Roller? If you exposed all Roller data
via AtomPub collections, you could make it very easy for folks to
extract their data from Roller. You would need to support new Atom
collections for comments, bookmarks, templates, categories and weblog
settings. And, you'd need to define some Atom format extensions to
hold some Roller specific setting (blog entry plugins, comment rules,
etc.). Develop something good enough and you could get other blog
vendors to support it too; you could solve the whole blog data
portability problem once and for all! You can choose to use Roller's
existing ROME AtomPub implementation or develop a new one with Abdera
(see also roller-abdera).

- Dave

Re: roller-atomexport

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Fortunately it's not that difficult to implement the Atompub impl.
However, I'm not exactly sure what "roller-atomexport" means.

- James

Re: roller-atomexport

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Ruchira Wageesha <rw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I am a university student and interested in Roller-atomexport project idea.
>  I have done some projects regarding web services and have a good experience
>  in JAVA, JSP, REST, XML, WSDL, Web Services, XSLT, XPath. One of the project
>  i've done is here at http://ww2.wso2.org:8080/form2wsdl2test/ for testing
>  which is done using XSLT and Java. Although I have an experience in those
>  areas I am new to Abdera and Rome. but I am leaning these things right now.
>  Will these be enough to enrol  with roller-atomexport project? And also how
>  could I know more information regarding the requirements of the project?
>  wageesha

Hi Ruchira,

Thanks for your interest!

If you've got good knowledge of and experience with Java, JSP, REST
and XML then you've definitely got the prerequisites for this project.
I don't have any requirements for the project other than those listed
on the project ideas page, so the way to learn more is to start asking
questions here on the list.