Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com> on 2009/06/04 17:43:22 UTC

Adding an enumeration for Person -> PersonalTitle

We had a requirement to add some additional values to the personal title
dropdown and noticed that the list of Personal Titles were hardcoded in the
application.  Once more, they were stored with the localized value in the
database.  It seemed that the correct thing to do would be to introduce an
enumeration for the personal title and store the enumeration id on the
Person entity instead.

Providing this is true, I have some questions about how to effectively
handle the data migration this approach would take.  My initial approach
would be to add this new enumeration and create a new column on the Person
entity (something like personalTitleEnumId).  The UI artifacts and email
templates would be updated to make use of this new column via a new/updated
view-entity that would include the personal title enumeration description.

So here are my questions --

1) Is there value in doing this / is this the right approach?
2) What would we do with the old column (assuming we should introduce a new
one)
3) How do we handle the data migration
4) Is it worth supporting backwards compatibility to the old column in the
UI/Email templates; or would we force data migration

Re: Adding an enumeration for Person -> PersonalTitle

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Bob,

I agree that adding the new personalTitleEnumId is a good idea.
See also my comments inline:

On Jun 26, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Bob Morley wrote:

> Bob Morley wrote:
>>
>> We had a requirement to add some additional values to the personal
>> title
>> dropdown and noticed that the list of Personal Titles were
>> hardcoded in
>> the application.  Once more, they were stored with the localized
>> value in
>> the database.  It seemed that the correct thing to do would be to
>> introduce an enumeration for the personal title and store the
>> enumeration
>> id on the Person entity instead.
>>
>> Providing this is true, I have some questions about how to
>> effectively
>> handle the data migration this approach would take.  My initial
>> approach
>> would be to add this new enumeration and create a new column on the
>> Person
>> entity (something like personalTitleEnumId).  The UI artifacts and
>> email
>> templates would be updated to make use of this new column via a
>> new/updated view-entity that would include the personal title
>> enumeration
>> description.
>>
>> So here are my questions --
>>
>> 1) Is there value in doing this / is this the right approach?

Yes.

>> 2) What would we do with the old column (assuming we should
>> introduce a
>> new one)

The best practice is described here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/General+Entity+Overview

see section "Deprecated Entities", in particular the following
paragraph:

"When changing the name of a field, or deprecating and replacing a
field that does not require deprecation of the entire entity, then
follow the same pattern leaving the old field there: a "old" prefix
added to the field name, change the original first letter to upper
case, and specify the column-name for the field so it is the same as
the original field name. For example if you are changing the "uomId"
field to a new name then change the field name to "oldUomId" and
specify a column-name of "UOM_ID". Just as when replacing and entity,
make sure to write a service to move the data from the old field to
the new one.
Whenever doing any of these sorts of changes that require additional
steps to update a production server, ALWAYS add an entry on this page:
Revisions Requiring Data Migration"

>> 3) How do we handle the data migration

See above link, and have a look at the way the entity
"OldOrderItemAssociation" (a deprecated entity) is used by the
migration script in the "order" component.

>> 4) Is it worth supporting backwards compatibility to the old column
>> in the
>> UI/Email templates; or would we force data migration

You should simply use the new field, the migration script should take
care of the rest.

Cheers,

Jacopo

Re: Adding an enumeration for Person -> PersonalTitle

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
How would this be better than the current practices? These are
described here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Revisions+Requiring+Data+Migration

and here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/General+Entity+Overview ->
Deprecated Entities

-David

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@gmail.com>.
How about this proposal

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
On Jun 27, 2009, at 9:57 PM, Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> Regd: 'Doing an automated migration would only work if you know that
> all
> current values in the database are among the enumerated options you
> want to
> migrate to'
>
> Migration could check and create the enumerated option if it does
> not exist.
>
> So Party  has refrences to PersonalTitleId, where PersonalTitleId =
> CreteOrRetrieveReference(text field PersonalTitle)

Yes, that's true. I guess this discussion is now getting into
implementation details as opposed to general approach and certainly
things like this will come up.

You would probably still want to do data cleansing before running
this, and perhaps map multiple values in the live data to a single
enumerated option. For example you might have "Doctor", "Dr", "Dr.",
"Doc", etc all mapped to the enumerated ID of "DOCTOR". But yeah, that
is just a standard part of doing data migration.

> There maybe a similar pattern with city in PostalCode. It(city) is
> text but
> there is a need to constrain city value to limited set(e.g. to avoid
> typos).

This is a good example where using an external system might be a
better approach than implementing and maintaining all of the possible
enumerated values, and their corresponding constraints (ie city to
postal code relationships).

> There may be other cases in schema where text can be modelled as an
> enumerated type.
>
> I understand the motivation of not breaking other apps that rely on
> text,
> but wondering if there should(or is) 'deprecated' style annotation
> to nudge
> movement to stronger reference checks at schema level. Having
> enumeration
> type reference does not prevent a UI functionality to show text
> field(if
> that is what the app requires) but the service at the backend has
> much more
> increased complexity to do createOrRetrieve rerference

Ummm... isn't it easier to go from an enumerated ID to displayable
text than to go from free-form text entry to an enumerated value?

As for how important this is: consider that you may have a requirement
right now that you are working with, but flexibility should be a
priority even for you because the requirement may change for your
current project, or you may have a different requirement for you next
project. Aside from that, chances are others have different
requirements and it's good to explore those and collaborate with
others to determine adequate solutions that are also sufficiently
flexible. Otherwise the project becomes more difficult to customize
over time and is no longer as generally useful.

-David

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi David,

On Jun 27, 2009, at 1:42 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> This is a tough one since you would be moving from a less
> constrained field to a more constrained one, ie a free-form field to
> a field with an enumerated set of options. Doing an automated
> migration would only work if you know that all current values in the
> database are among the enumerated options you want to migrate to (ie
> it may require some data cleansing first, especially if you are
> migrating from a system that allowed free-form text entry).
>
> This is also tough because if we created a personalTitleEnumId field
> and deprecated the personalTitle it would not be a backward
> compatible change, and existing deployments that use a free-form
> text entry field for this would have to add back the old field or
> add a custom one.
>
> On the other hand, if we simply leave the personalTitle field as-is
> and add an EnumerationType and various Enumeration records for title
> options you could choose in your UI if you want it to be free-form
> or as a drop-down populated from the database. This would be
> backward compatible and be more flexible for future use. Actually, I
> think in some places it already is a drop-down, just not populated
> from the database.

Yours are all good points and so maintaining both of them seems like a
good solution.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
This is a tough one since you would be moving from a less constrained
field to a more constrained one, ie a free-form field to a field with
an enumerated set of options. Doing an automated migration would only

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.