Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com> on 2018/11/19 03:19:56 UTC

semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Gents,

I somehow became subscribed to a list, political in nature, in whose mail I have no interest.  This is a legitimate AFAIK, US organization.

Thus far, several uses of their unsubscribe link had not provided relief.  Direct email to the founder and operations manager seem to have been ignored as well.

While I can just dump their mail, it offends my finely hones sense of propriety, justice and my all around good nature.  Besides, it hoses me off.

So, is there some "authority" to which I can report these a**holes? that might have an effect?

Re: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
> > My particular favorite fix is, if the mail list has a web preferences
> > page, to go to there and edit the preferences then set the email address
> > to postmaster@localhost.  Now it's their problem. <g>
>
> If thay test fqdn it Will be your problem
> :)

I have often done similar by sending the email to nobody@theirdomain
where theirdomain is the sites fqdn.  I am often surprised at how
often it is rejected as already in use by another account!  Someone
else has beat me to it!

Bob

RE: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 21. november 2018 01.32.37 Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>

Posted by Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>.
No worries.  Someone with a similar issue will search for a solution someday, and have one at hand.  :-)

My particular favorite fix is, if the mail list has a web preferences page, to go to there and edit the preferences then set the email address to postmaster@localhost.  Now it's their problem. <g>

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.
Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 11/20/2018 2:43 PM, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:
> Seems I may have maligned this un named organization.

Other than maligning their cosmic karma, not really sure asking about
how to gritch about them but not actually doing anything does any real
harm :-)

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.
 In Europe according to GDPR that would probably lead to an epic fine....

    On Monday, November 19, 2018, 4:35:56 PM GMT+1, Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

 >Short answer: No.
>
>Political and charitable entities are not governed by the main anti-spam
>law in the US (known as "CAN-SPAM") on the theory that if they were not,
<they could invalidate the whole law on constitutional grounds. CAN-SPAM

----PedroD

Re: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
Spam is income for those who sell it, a cost for those who buy it, and a liability for those who receive it. Thousands of junk and weaponized messages try their luck while wasting our resources. It is not by accident that we have anti-spam laws. Our unpaid job is to reject spam efficiently. Sometimes you cannot reject it, because sent properly, by someone you can identify, and it falls within your legal reach. That's when you file a complaint to the ombudsman and cash in a small reward for the inconvenience. Laws are there for us, not against us.

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

> Gents,

Ahem.  ;-)

> I somehow became subscribed to a list, political in nature, in whose mail I have no interest.  This is a legitimate AFAIK, US organization.
>
> Thus far, several uses of their unsubscribe link had not provided relief.  Direct email to the founder and operations manager seem to have been ignored as well.
>
> While I can just dump their mail, it offends my finely hones sense of propriety, justice and my all around good nature.  Besides, it hoses me off.
>
> So, is there some "authority" to which I can report these a**holes? that might have an effect?

Speaking as someone who actually wrote part of the U.S. anti-spam law (of which I'm the first to say that it is pathetic and anemic (except of course, the part that I wrote ;-) )...I can say categorically that political email is exempt from most Federal law relating to email, email marketing, etc..

But THAT said, a word to their provider can (and sometimes does) still have the desired (individual) effect, because providers care about their IP space reputation (more so than most political campaigns).

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell,
Attorney at Law
GDPR, CCPA (CA) & CCDPA (CO) Compliance Consultant
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Legislative Consultant
CEO/President, Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Board of Directors, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Legal Counsel: The CyberGreen Institute
Legal Counsel: The Earth Law Center
California Bar Association
Cal. Bar Cyberspace Law Committee
Colorado Cyber Committee
Ret. Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of San Jose
Ret. Chair, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop

Re: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

> The email address is an address, part of your personally identifiable data. If an identifiable entity in the US sends mass mail to European addresses, then they must have a representative in Europe and comply with the GDPR.

I somehow missed that John is in the U.K., and actually re-reading his email suggests that he may be in Canada ("hoses me off" ;-) )...  John, if you are in Canada than this may fall under CASL, in which case you can report the email here:

http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/h_00017.html

If you are, in fact, in the EU, then by all means I'd go the route of invoking GDPR.  Many (if not most..sigh) entities in the U.S. believe that they don't have to worry or care about GDPR..however the language in GDPR that says, in essence, "we will go after anybody anywhere in the world who violates GDPR" coupled with the private right of action suggests that you'd at least have a shot.  The reason that political spam is exempted in the U.S. is because of the 1st Amendment..which of course does not apply outside the U.S.. ;-)

Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Legislative Consultant

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:41, John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
>>
>>> The email address is an address, part of your personally identifiable
>>> data.
>>
>> I'm not disputing that. I write software that deals with PII in my day job.
>>
>>> If an identifiable entity in the US sends mass mail to European
>>> addresses, then they must have a representative in Europe and comply
>>> with the GDPR.
>>
>> (1) how do you *force* someone in the US to have a representative in
>> Europe?
>
> You file a complaint with your national ombudsman. In your case, stress
> the fact that they are processing political data in addition to common
> data. Do not expect immediate termination of spam. The ombudsman will
> proceed to verify the facts, identify the parties involved, check
> compliance claims, and enforce the EU-US bilateral agreement.

see the discussion of the bilateral agreement below.

> In the end, the spammers

Point of order: we're not talking about spammers per se, we're talking
about a legitimate US-only organization (NOT necessarily a business) that
is sending email to an EU correspondant, possibly at that person's
automatically-processed request (e.g. by subscribing to a mailing list).

> will most likely refuse to appoint an EU representative,

Why would the organization do so, if their only interest is in the US?

> and the EU will shut down their website.

If the organization has no presence in the EU, and the website is not
hosted in the EU, *how*? The EU is *not* the World Government and Ultimate
Internet Regulatory Authority.

>> (2) if they do no business in the EU, and do not have any presence in the
>> EU (sending email to addresses in the EU is not "having a presence in the
>> EU"), how are they subject to fines for violating the law in the EU?
>>
>> If, for example, I - a private, non-commercial entity - hosted a mailing
>> list on my private server (which I have done in the past), and someone in
>> the EU subscribed and posted to that list and their email address was
>> captured in the list archives, and they later unsubscribed and asked for
>> their email address to be removed from the list archives, and I (for
>> whatever reason) did not do so, *how* would an EU court levy fines against
>> me?
>>
>> The US is not a signatory to the GDPR as far as I am aware, and I have
>> *no* legal presence outside the US.
>
> The US signed a bilateral agreement with the EU:
> https://www.privacyshield.gov/

By my quick reading:

(1) that only applies to businesses and (apparently) common carriers - I
don't see any suggestion that something like a domestic political advocacy
group would be affected (I'm presuming that since such is not a commercial
entity or common carrier they are not subject to the jurisdiction of the
FTC or DOT), and certainly not a private citizen acting on their own
behalf (like in my mailing list hypothetical above).

(2) it is a *voluntary* framework for assuring your customers you abide by
requirements aligned with the GDPR, with certification by a third party
that you do so.

(3) it only provides for punishment of companies that have *voluntarily*
enrolled and don't actually implement the required controls, which is
punished as "deceptive advertising" (i.e. claiming to protect your
privacy but not actually doing so); there are fines, but apparently there
is no provision for the *huge* fines that GDPR threatens, and I see no
provision for "shutting down a website" (though that may be dragged in
via other FTC regulations related to deceptive advertising). If a company
persistently violates the terms of their enrollment they will be removed
from the program.

So: that does not appear to apply at all to me as a private citizen
running a mailing list, and *probably* does not apply to purely-US
non-business entities (e.g. a political advocacy organization) that have
not applied for membership in the program so that they can publicly claim
to be protecting your privacy under a framework similar to the GDPR.

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

> I don't want to weigh in on the perceived worth of your signature, but
> are you aware of the signature convention that has been around for
> decades? It is mentioned in RFC 3676 and many other places:
>
>  There is a long-standing convention in Usenet news which also commonly
>  appears in Internet mail of using "-- " as the separator line between
>  the body and the signature of a message.
>
>  (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676#section-4.3)
>
> If you prefix your signature with DASH DASH SPACE, smart MUAs will
> either show the signature in muted colours, in a collapsed state, or by
> other means of making it less intrusive.

That's odd...until you mentioned it I wasn't aware that my MUA was *not* including that!...let me see if I can figure out why it isn't.  Thank you!

Anne

(suppressing .sig for now)

Re: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by Ralph Seichter <m1...@monksofcool.net>.
* Anne P. Mitchell:

> I have found that establishing my expertise and authority up front
> tends to ward off lengthy discussions that take up way more mailing
> list bandwidth than the signature.

I don't want to weigh in on the perceived worth of your signature, but
are you aware of the signature convention that has been around for
decades? It is mentioned in RFC 3676 and many other places:

  There is a long-standing convention in Usenet news which also commonly
  appears in Internet mail of using "-- " as the separator line between
  the body and the signature of a message.

  (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676#section-4.3)

If you prefix your signature with DASH DASH SPACE, smart MUAs will
either show the signature in muted colours, in a collapsed state, or by
other means of making it less intrusive.

-Ralph

Re: semi-OT - reporting an organization that ignores unsubscribe requests

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 4:25 PM, @lbutlr <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
>
> This is a very excessive signature block. I’m glad your proud of your resume, but inflicting itnon a mailing list with every post is a bit much.

It's not a matter of pride, and I generally don't disagree with you...however when discussing things actually having to do with the law, I have found that establishing my expertise and authority up front tends to ward off lengthy discussions that take up way more mailing list bandwidth than the signature.

Much like this email, really.

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
The "right to be forgotten" is the natural outcome of three decades of self-inflicted pain. Some argue that deleting old e-mails is like re-writing history. Other, like me, argue that e-mail was born as an informal medium, different than, for example, a published book or factual evidence of a genocide. I contend that e-mail can only be included as evidence in court if the forensics are both sound and complete, because (most) e-mails can be easily fabricated. Would you like to be convicted by a fake e-mail? I guess not. Also, many of those "archives" have no legal or commercial value. They are not a book you can re-sell. Granted that, there are people who committed suicide out of shame, because they were the object of defamation or cyberbullying, things that move almost no one, until it happens to their children. A number of lawyers in the EU just couldn't pass by without taking notice. Both the US and the UN at some point will follow up, and make the world a better place.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 20:39, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. <am...@isipp.com> wrote

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 21 Nov 2018, at 13:03, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

> Except for the private right of action provided in GDPR, and small
> claims court in the U.S.

Are you saying an EU law can create an actionable civil tort claim in a
US state small claims court for actions which are not illegal under any
US state or federal law?

That would be novel... have there actually been successful cases?

--
Bill Cole

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.
P.S.  I should have added: the whole jurisdiction issue is, clinically speaking, one of the most interesting parts of GDPR. I've never seen a law that so broadly asserted that the country or union from which the law was promulgated will enforce it anywhere and everywhere - it's pretty damned gutsy.  It will almost certainly be sorted out through lawsuits, and that will definitely be popcorn time.

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 21 Nov 2018, at 9:03, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:41, John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
[...]
>> The US is not a signatory to the GDPR as far as I am aware, and I
>> have
>> *no* legal presence outside the US.
>

> The US signed a bilateral agreement with the EU:
> https://www.privacyshield.gov/

It's widely misunderstood how hard it is for the US government to
enforce the laws of other countries on US people and companies.

Participation in Privacy Shield is an entirely voluntary program and the
only punishment for a self-certifying entity that claims to be complying
is that if the FTC determines that they persist in non-compliance, they
are removed from the list of complying entities and added to a list of
persistent non-compliers. Beyond that, the only punishment would be if
they continue to claim participation in Privacy Shield (i.e. simple
fraud.)

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> Yes, if you are European, and might get some money as compensation.

From a US political advocacy group which has no commercial presence in EU?

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.