Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Greg Dick <gr...@icesoft.com> on 2008/11/06 20:21:03 UTC

ExpireSession settings

Hi,

We have an application with an HttpSessionListener on Tomcat 6.0.14 with
an Apache 2.2 load balancer. We have gone through a variety of config
settings regarding "expireSessionsOnShutdown" and we're a bit confused
as to what we should be seeing.

When a user hits the site and a new session is created, we see this
message on both nodes of the cluster. Perfect.

When we shut down the node that has been serving the client, we always
see a sessionDestroyed message on that node for the client whether we
have the simple configuration:

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster" />

or try to add a manager to the configuration:
<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager"
                  expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" />

We never see a sessionDestroyed message on the node that isn't shutting
down. This may be all right, as the session might be duplicated once the
downed server is restarted, but changing the config to this:

<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager"
                  expireSessionsOnShutdown="true" />

doesn't seem to make any difference. Does this setting change the way
sessions are expired throughout the cluster?
Thanks in advance.