Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/28 08:34:01 UTC

Digitally signing the NetBeans binaries for macOS notarization

Hello,

For OpenBeans.org I have to notarize the macOS app, which means among
other things digitally signing everything that looks executable to
Apple: standalone binaries and dynamic libraries. See
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution

We have both of these in a NetBeans release and I have been wondering
if it's not more practical to just digitally sign these binaries with
the Apache key instead?

OR, I could just sign these with my key and update the binaries /
external files used by NetBeans so that the resulting binary
distribution has less things to worry about.

I'm happy with either solution. Using my key would be fastest as I can
just use my key and create a PR. I don't know how signing with the
Apache key is done but I assume somebody that worked on the NetBeans
macOS installer knows.

I see the following files:

* native execution with the most:

ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/killall
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/process_start
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/pty
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/pty_open
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/stat
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86/unbuffer.dylib
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/killall
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/process_start
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/pty
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/pty_open
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/stat
ide/bin/nativeexecution/MacOSX-x86_64/unbuffer.dylib

* profiler:
profiler/lib/deployed/jdk15/mac/libprofilerinterface.jnilib
profiler/lib/deployed/jdk16/mac/libprofilerinterface.jnilib

* C/C++:
cnd/bin/MacOSX-x86/libBuildTrace.dylib
cnd/bin/MacOSX-x86_64/libBuildTrace.dylib
dlight/bin/MacOSX-x86/fs_server

* JavaFX has some dylibs inside the JAR:

platform/modules/ext/javafx-graphics-13-mac.jar
platform/modules/ext/javafx-media-13-mac.jar
platform/modules/ext/javafx-web-13-mac.jar

* and this one:

platform/modules/lib/libjnidispatch-nb.jnilib

--emi

Re: Digitally signing the NetBeans binaries for macOS notarization

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Great work, thanks Arunava.

Gj

Posted by Arunava Sinha <ar...@oracle.com>.