Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Xiangrui Meng <me...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/02 20:42:06 UTC

Re: Using CUDA within Spark / boosting linear algebra

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Sam Halliday <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, check the JNILoader output.
>
> Remember, for netlib-java to use your system libblas all you need to do is
> setup libblas.so.3 like any native application would expect.
>
> I haven't ever used the cublas "real BLAS"  implementation, so I'd be
> interested to hear about this. Do an 'ldd /usr/lib/libblas.so.3' to check
> that all the runtime links are in order.

There are two shared libraries in this hybrid setup. nvblas.so must be
loaded before libblas.so to intercept level 3 routines using GPU. More
details are at: http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/nvblas/index.html#Usage

Posted by "Ulanov, Alexander" <al...@hp.com>.
Thanks Sam for suggestion! I should try doing this. Now I suppose that netlib-java linked with cuBlas during the execution time does fall back to cblas library in my system, which is atlas. If I remove atlas, netlib (linked with cublas) fails with the message "undefined symbol: cblas_dgemm".

In the meantime, I have updated my spreadsheet with BIDMat-cuda results that does copy from main memory to GPU, multiplies and the copies it back to main memory (similar to what Xiangrui did). Surprisingly (for myself), the copying overhead seems quite small, especially for the bigger matrices.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lWdVSuSragOobb0A_oeouQgHUMx378T9J5r7kwKSPkY/edit?usp=sharing

That's correct. It's highly unusual for a libblas.so to only provide the Fortran API. Oh well... CBLAS sources are available in the netlib-java repository so you could simply compile them and link against whatever libblas.so[fortran] you like.

Posted by "Ulanov, Alexander" <al...@hp.com>.
Hi Xiangrui,