Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Green <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2000/10/16 13:30:28 UTC

Re: Publishing Engine Could Not Be Initialized

"linda" <hr...@rivia.com> wrote:
>I'm quite new to cocoon.I've been getting these after I install and
>configure cocoon.Can anybody help me to settle this problem.
>
>java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
>org.apache.cocoon.formatter.FO2PDFFormatter: make sure the needed classes
>can be found in the classpath (org/apache/fop/apps/Version)

Probably in your jsm-default/properties file you have either missed out the
fop jar or spelled it wrong.

http://profiles.msn.com.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 14:52 +0400 26/10/00, Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
>Maybe it's better to use <fp:write ...> for node deletion?
>What will it happen if a complex XPath expression (allowed for fp:read, but
>not for fp:write) is used?
><fp:read select="something/*" mode="remove"/>

Complex paths work in <fp:write> as long as the node exists.
They only should not be used when you are trying to create new nodes.

Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Maybe it's better to use <fp:write ...> for node deletion?
What will it happen if a complex XPath expression (allowed for fp:read, but
not for fp:write) is used?
<fp:read select="something/*" mode="remove"/>

Konstantin Piroumian
Software engineer

Protek Flagship LLC
Phone: + 7 095 795 0520 (add. 1288)
Fax: + 7 095 795 0525
E-mail: kpiroumian@flagship.ru
http://www.protek.com

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 10:09 +0200 19/10/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>> Not very effective way of doing this.
>> Maybe it's possible to fp:write an empty node?
>
>At least for deletion there's a possibility, but adding items definetely
>doesn't work here.

Sorry Guys,

I have been really snowed under with work, we are close to our deadline,
and a bit behind .....

I will try and answer all these questions, soon .... it's not just your
email I have been ignoring :)

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Konstantin Piroumian wrote:

> Not very effective way of doing this.
> Maybe it's possible to fp:write an empty node?

At least for deletion there's a possibility, but adding items definetely
doesn't work here.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@flagship.ru>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@flagship.ru>.
And is there a possibility to delete nodes from XML with FP?

Konstantin

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 10:38 +0200 27/10/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>> try this :
>>
>> <fp:write to="resource" select=".">
>> </fp:write>
>>
>> this should select your <item/> (or is that only working in fp2?)
>
>This doesn't work either. It writes nothing new to my file, but it
>appears that the last <item/> was rewritten, because it is all on one
>line now, before it was on multiple lines. The problem remains the same:
>either I select /root as context, in which case fp cannot add items,
>because it would select multiple items to write to. Or I select an
>existing item as context, in which case stuff gets written to this item,
>instead of next to it.

Ulrich

OK, I think this would be a good time for you to send me your files
(privately) so I can try to work out what is going wrong.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 17:04 +0200 26/10/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>Sorry to be such a pest, Jeremy, in my case this doesn't work. Here's
>what I have in my Resource as XPATH:

No worries, I just hope I can help you fix it ...

><fp:resource-node>/root/item[id=count(//item)]</fp:resource-node>

you have selected the reference item

><fp:default-mode>insert-after</fp:default-mode>

you create a new item after it (Yea, sorry, this is the *other* way Nodes
get created ;)

>This selects the last item, the ids are numbered from 1 to 18 (which is
>currently the last item). Now I do, as you suggested:
>
><fp:write to="resource" select="item">
></fp:write>

With the new <item/> as your context, you ask it to create a new <item/> child.

try this :

<fp:write to="resource" select=".">
</fp:write>

this should select your <item/> (or is that only working in fp2?)

if you want to create the <id/> now, you'd do this:

<fp:write to="resource" select="id">
</fp:write>

>This inserts an empty <item/> tag into the last item, not after it. It
>looks like this:
>
><item>
><id>18</id>
><item/><!-- this was inserted -->
></item>

It's working then; this is literally what you asked it to do :)

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> I select the node I want to insert-before (or after) as the context :
>
>                 <fp:resource id="external-item">
>                         <fp:resource-file>../index.xml</fp:resource-file>
>                         <fp:resource-node>item[position()=<request:get-parameter
> name="item"/>]</fp:resource-node>
>                         <fp:default-mode>insert-before</fp:default-mode>
>                 </fp:resource>
>
> this says: "make a new node called 'item' inserting it before the node that
> matches the XPath"

Sorry to be such a pest, Jeremy, in my case this doesn't work. Here's
what I have in my Resource as XPATH:

<fp:resource-node>/root/item[id=count(//item)]</fp:resource-node>
<fp:default-mode>insert-after</fp:default-mode>

This selects the last item, the ids are numbered from 1 to 18 (which is
currently the last item). Now I do, as you suggested:

<fp:write to="resource" select="item">
</fp:write>

This inserts an empty <item/> tag into the last item, not after it. It
looks like this:

<item>
<id>18</id>
<item/><!-- this was inserted -->
</item>

But of course I want the item to go after item #18. If I just set the
XPATH in the resource to /root, then it doesn't work either. I get an
error message that says fp cannot write to multiple selected nodes. This
is sensible, as there are 18 item nodes. But selecting one of those 18
items will insert the new item INTO it, instead of AFTER it.

Ulrich

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 13:13 +0200 26/10/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>
>> So if I use a tag like this:
>>
>>         <fp:write to="external" select="one/two/three/four">
>>                 <request:get-parameter name="blah"/>
>>         </fp:write>
>>
>> and none of that lot exist, they will all be created in the external
>>document.
>
>Well, but what if it exists, but I want to add another one? Say I have
>this XML:
>
><root>
>
><item>
><id>1</id>
></item>
>
><item>
><id>2</id>
></item>
>
></root>
>
>And now I want to add another item with id 3. I do <fp:write
>to="external" select="/root/item"> - but fp complains that I selected
>multiple nodes. If I select the new node with <fp:write to="external"
>select="/root/item[id=3]">, then it doesn't work as well. So what can I
>do? How do I have to structure my XML so that I can add another item to
>a bunch of already existing items?

look at the sample, it does this :)

I select the node I want to insert-before (or after) as the context :

		<fp:resource id="external-item">
			<fp:resource-file>../index.xml</fp:resource-file>
			<fp:resource-node>item[position()=<request:get-parameter
name="item"/>]</fp:resource-node>
			<fp:default-mode>insert-before</fp:default-mode>
		</fp:resource>

this says: "make a new node called 'item' inserting it before the node that
matches the XPath"

then I use that context to add new nodes:

		<fp:write to="external-item" select="title">
			<request:get-parameter name="title"/>
		</fp:write>

BTW. you do not need to specify "root" in your XPaths, there is no-where
else to look!

Part of what I am trying to do with my rewrite (about 4 lines/week at the
moment :) is to clarify these patterns.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 12:42 +0200 18/10/00, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>
>> Yep, 'fraid I never thought of this.
>
>Can you provide a simple example of how to add an XML tag to a document?
>I don't understand how the sample, that is supplied with fp, actually
>works. I looked in add-item.xml and found only fp:writes that wrote to
>existing tags, none that added new tags.
>
>Ulrich

<fp:write> creates tags automatically, as required.

If you look at the code, it calls a method called "sureNode" if the XPath
in the "select" attribute cannot be found. This is why only simple paths
can be used in an <fp:write>'s select attribute, if you are writing to
non-existent nodes. (Or you could say it is because I am too lazy to parse
out a complex XPath :)

So if I use a tag like this:

	<fp:write to="external" select="one/two/three/four">
		<request:get-parameter name="blah"/>
	</fp:write>

and none of that lot exist, they will all be created in the external document.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the delay.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 13:19 +0400 17/10/00, Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
>Hi!
>
>How can I use XPath aggregating functions with FP Taglib?
>Is that possible?
>
>  <fp:resource id="subs-count">
>       <fp:resource-file>subscribers-db.xml</fp:resource-file>
>       <fp:resource-node>client/subscribers/subscriber</fp:resource-node>
>  </fp:resource>
>
><!-- count() is a XPath function -->
>   <msg>Count: <fp:read select="count(.)" from="subs-count"
>as="string"/></msg>
>
>I get the following error: <...> XPath expression error on:count(.) : Can
>not convert #NUMBER to a NodeList!

Yep, 'fraid I never thought of this.
The <fp:read> tag expects a NodeList to have been selected.

I think you will have to use the document() function in XSL to do this kind
of thing.

I think I mention in the docs that (particularly) the <fp:write> tag only
handles simple XPath expressions in it's select attribute, as it is able to
do a "sureNode" with your path, ie. create every missing element between
where you are and the end of your path.

I will look into implementing this kind of query in an <fp:read> tag for FP2.

Thanks for the suggestion.

XPath with FP Taglib

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Hi!

How can I use XPath aggregating functions with FP Taglib?
Is that possible?

  <fp:resource id="subs-count">
       <fp:resource-file>subscribers-db.xml</fp:resource-file>
       <fp:resource-node>client/subscribers/subscriber</fp:resource-node>
  </fp:resource>

<!-- count() is a XPath function -->
   <msg>Count: <fp:read select="count(.)" from="subs-count"
as="string"/></msg>

I get the following error: <...> XPath expression error on:count(.) : Can
not convert #NUMBER to a NodeList!

Regards,
  Konstantin Piroumian
kpiroumian@flagship.ru

Re: Publishing Engine Could Not Be Initialized

Posted by linda <hr...@rivia.com>.
Thank you. I can now successfully load Cocoon.xml page.Now I got another
problem. If I try to run the sample, I don't get any error message, but it
failed to display correctly.For hello sample, I just got
response:type=text/html and for wap sample I only got Your Portfolio box
without anything inside.Can somebody help me again on this matter.

linda