Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2003/07/13 13:24:22 UTC

Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

The author elements in the documentation are inaccurate and seem to
encourage people to send direct emails.  I'd like to propose we remove
them.  The @author tags in the code are a different matter and I'm NOT
proposing we remove those.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
As a compromise that would be a good "contact info:"

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/14/03 6:45 AM, "Glen Stampoultzis" <gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> At 01:25 AM 14/07/2003, you wrote:
>> -1.  Lets just remove them from the XSLT for the same reasons they are in
>> the code.  I want to encourage people to contribute.
>
> Okay. It seems that others are in agreement.  I'd still like to be able to
> alter my email address to point to poi-user@ however.

That is ANOTHER matter.  I have NO qualms with changing all of the email
addresses...  That is just ANNOYING!

>> I'm also against removing the author tags from the code.  We do not have the
>> kind of community problems that Avalon and other projects have.  I think
>> these encourage new contributors.  If we HAD that kind of problem I'd change
>> my mind.
>
> This is not what I was proposing.  I wish to keep the @author tags.

Yeah Tetsuya mentioned it...

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Posted by ra...@gmx.de.
> Glen, how about "[SURVEY]" in this mailing list who want to keep the
> author name in the xml?

I'd like to be able to put my name into code and documentation at their
proper places. And I'd like it to stay there.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

--
                  RAINER KLUTE IT-CONSULTING GMBH
Dipl.-Inform.

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:25:18 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> -1.  Lets just remove them from the XSLT for the same reasons they
> are in the code.  I want to encourage people to contribute.

Well,

Sure, it's sometimes useful to know who originally has a hand in the
page, as Glen told me in personal.

Glen, how about "[SURVEY]" in this mailing list who want to keep the
author name in the xml?
Deleting the name of the authors who did not raise their hands within
one or two weeks might be preferable.

As for me, I rather want to keep my name in the xml.

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
-1.  Lets just remove them from the XSLT for the same reasons they are in
the code.  I want to encourage people to contribute.

I'm also against removing the author tags from the code.  We do not have the
kind of community problems that Avalon and other projects have.  I think
these encourage new contributors.  If we HAD that kind of problem I'd change
my mind.

The positive effects of author tags are the "see look what I did" factor.
Compare this with the communist approach where "ahh someone else will do it,
doesn't benefit me in any way" --  code suffers from this LESS than
documentation.

I'd also like to add "translator" tags.

-Andy

On 7/13/03 7:44 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> How about * Jakarta Poi Documentation Team <po...@jakarta.apache.org>* ??
>
> The @author tags in the code will be discussed sooner or later...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> -- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:24:22 +1000
> (Subject: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation)
> Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

>> The author elements in the documentation are inaccurate and seem to
>> encourage people to send direct emails.  I'd like to propose we remove
>> them.  The @author tags in the code are a different matter and I'm NOT
>> proposing we remove those.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Glen Stampoultzis
>> gstamp@iinet.net.au
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~gstamp/glen/

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Proposal: Taking the author elements off the documentation

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
+1

How about * Jakarta Poi Documentation Team <po...@jakarta.apache.org>* ??

The @author tags in the code will be discussed sooner or later...