Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2003/12/18 11:20:13 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Logging Services project

Good morning to all,

The log4j developers are pleased to announce that the Board of
Directors of the Apache Software Foundation unanimously passed a
resolution for the creation of the Apache Logging Services project. A
copy of the resolution can be found at:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?LoggingApacheOrg/BoardResoluion

The Logging Services project is intended to provide cross-language
logging services for purposes of application debugging and
auditing. The discussions leading to the submission of this resolution
can be found at:

We should also mention that thanks to the relentless efforts of many
developers and in particular those of Scott Deboy, we currently have
inter-operability between the following projects:

  * Log4Cxx (c++)
  * Log4CPlus
  * Log4j
  * Log4Net
  * Log4Perl
  * Log4PHP
  * JDK1.4's util.logging framework

There is still much work ahead bringing in the various projects to
work together within the Logging Services Project. The process is
likely to take a little while. In the mean time, we will continue to
do what we like best, that is developing open source software.

Happy holidays to all,

--
Ceki Gülcü

Log4J servlet

Posted by Tbee <tb...@tbee.org>.
Maybe someone is interested.

Since I had all these problems with the autoconfig, I wrote a servlet to solve
that. The servlet does the following:
- searches for log4j.properties in web-inf/classes
  if it doesn't find it, it reverts to autoconfig
- it has a own worker thread for checking changes in this file
  (this is to enable a clean shutdown of the webapp)
- it can be forced to check immediately by executing the "doGet"
  (by opening de servlet URL in a browser)
- it can override the log4j settings by submitting a log4j file

The last point requires some additional information: when a browser is pointed
to the log4j, it will run the doGet and report back "file reexamined" plus it
will display a textarea and a submit button. By pasting the contents of a
log4j.properties file in the textarea and hitting submit, that configuration is
activated until either file actual file updated or a new file is posted.

Tom

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Logging Services project

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Good morning to all,
>
> The log4j developers are pleased to announce that the Board of
> Directors of the Apache Software Foundation unanimously passed a
> resolution for the creation of the Apache Logging Services project. A
> copy of the resolution can be found at:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?LoggingApacheOrg/BoardResoluion
>

> The Logging Services project is intended to provide cross-language
> logging services for purposes of application debugging and
> auditing.

I wonder, will it include only Log4J ("and sister projects", as stated
in resolution), or Commons Logging, Avalon LogKit will be invited too?

Vadim