Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Xu, Hui@DCSS" <Hu...@dcss.ca.gov> on 2015/04/08 21:37:44 UTC

.XDP file can load & edit in PDFBox?

Hi,

I have lots .xdp forms. We are developing a new Java application.

Is it possible that pdfbox can load .xdp form and reset some field values, and then save it?

Re: .XDP file can load & edit in PDFBox?

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 09.04.2015 um 01:00 schrieb Mayer, Alan@DCSS <Al...@dcss.ca.gov>:
>
> BR,
>
> We have historically used Adobe LiveCycle Designer to create XDP templates that we populate with Adobe LiveCycle ES3 server software.

we are using Adobe LiveCycle server products in various projects successfully so from that PDFBox might be able to help you but only under certain, very limited conditions. We are using PDFBox inside LiveCycle Projects but not to replace core functionality.

What do you do with the populated form? Which module(s) are you using?

> We are creating a new application and are looking for a simpler solution.

What is the complexity you'd like to get rid of? Is it the server based architecture? ...

> We are wondering if we can use Adobe LiveCycle Designer XDP form templates, read them with PDFBox, populate fields programmatically, and save as PDF programmatically.
>
> We suspect that we may have to use PDF Templates created with Adobe Acrobat, or XDP templates created with Adobe LiveCycle designer that we 'save as' to PDF templates.

Yes, you'd need a PDF to start from.
Technically it would be possible to create the PDF 'wrapper' from scratch using PDFBox but there are a lot of other things which have to be done when writing a PDF with a XDP form contained - PDFBox doesn't have high level functions to do that for you and I don't know of any samples that this has been done before.

> Also, is there an option in PDFBox to 'flatten' a PDF template with field data added?

If you have a dynamic XDP form you'd need an XFA renderer which PDFBox doesn't have. PDFBox can only 'flatten' static PDF forms.

If you are looking for a pure Java lib you might want to check http://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdfjavatoolkit/ <http://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdfjavatoolkit/> (which is developed by Adobe) or iText that has an add on module called XFA worker.

In order to make an informed decision about PDFBox being a fit there would be more information needed.

BR
Maruan

Posted by "Mayer, Alan@DCSS" <Al...@dcss.ca.gov>.
BR,

We have historically used Adobe LiveCycle Designer to create XDP templates that we populate with Adobe LiveCycle ES3 server software.

We are creating a new application and are looking for a simpler solution.  We are wondering if we can use Adobe LiveCycle Designer XDP form templates, read them with PDFBox, populate fields programmatically, and save as PDF programmatically.

Posted by "Xu, Hui@DCSS" <Hu...@dcss.ca.gov>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,