Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/05/27 12:22:35 UTC

[POLL] first 1.3alpha or log4j self-logging?

Hello all,

You may have noticed that log4j 1.3 has made quite a bit of progress recently.

Plugins/Receivers have become pervasive. We can offer much more
flexibility in parsing configuration files thanks to JoranConfigrator
which has replaced DOMConfigurator. Chainsaw has been enhanced and
improved beyond recognition to become a sophisticated log
visualization tool. We now have strategy based rollovers and support
for dynamic conversion words in PatternLayout.

One could say that we are ready for an alpha release for log4j 1.3.

However, the state of internal log4j logging (or error reporting) is
in a state which one might charitably call less than "satisfactory",
while utter mess is probably closer to reality. I would like to rectify
the log4j-internal logging problem before making log4j 1.3alpha available
in jar form.

So my question is the following. Do you prefer to release log4j
1.3alpha now or would you rather wait until the internal logging issue
is resolved which could delay the release for at least another few
weeks?  I rather wait to be on the safe side.

ps: Solving the self-logging issue is important because otherwise
users do not have a way of knowing what went wrong in case of
log4j-related problems. Log4j currently has about 100'000 lines of
code which is more than what initial versions of Tomcat or JBoss had.
Thus, log4j self-logging is a crucial ingredient to ensure a pleasant
user experience.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: [POLL] first 1.3alpha or log4j self-logging?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@apache.org>.
> So my question is the following. Do you prefer to release log4j
> 1.3alpha now or would you rather wait until the internal logging issue
> is resolved which could delay the release for at least another few
> weeks?  I rather wait to be on the safe side.

+1 on the wait.  I am able to help out with anything too.  In particular,
I have 3 days off next week. (Mon-Wed, GMT+10).

cheers,

Paul Smith