Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hinnerk Haardt <hi...@googlemail.com> on 2008/03/05 10:56:14 UTC

Bugreport: DNS resolver cache bug on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Hi,

there seems to be a bug in the caching of Avahi/Bonjour "DNS"-queries
in Subversion (or libneon?). To reproduce:

1. forget to switch the svn-serving-machine on
2. try svn ls http://server.local/path/to/repo
     => Host not found
3. switch server on
4. make sure the repository is reachable with a web browser
5. retry svn ls http://server.local/path/to/repo

     => svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
        svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': Could not resolve hostname
`server.local': Host not found (http://server.local)

Tcpdump reveals there is no network traffic on the second and any
following request (svn ls, svn up etc.).

Software versions:

  * Mac OS X 10.5.2
  * svn version 1.4.6 (r28521) (from MacPorts)
  * svn version 1.4.4 (r25188) (from OS X)

bye,
Hinnerk

PS: I'm not on this mailing list, so please either Cc: me or deal with
my ignorance.

Re: Bugreport: DNS resolver cache bug on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:56:14AM +0100, Hinnerk Haardt wrote:
> there seems to be a bug in the caching of Avahi/Bonjour "DNS"-queries in
> Subversion (or libneon?). To reproduce:
>
> 1. forget to switch the svn-serving-machine on
> 2. try svn ls http://server.local/path/to/repo
>     => Host not found
> 3. switch server on
> 4. make sure the repository is reachable with a web browser
> 5. retry svn ls http://server.local/path/to/repo
>
>     => svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
>        svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': Could not resolve hostname `server.local':
> Host not found (http://server.local)
>
> Tcpdump reveals there is no network traffic on the second and any following
> request (svn ls, svn up etc.).

users@subversion.tigris.org is the best place to ask this kind of
question.

This is likely to be some OS-level caching, there is none in SVN or neon
which would exhibit the behaviour you describe.  Google suggests you
should try running "dscacheutil -flushcache" for OS X 10.5.

joe