Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by JumpStart <ge...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/24 00:57:24 UTC

Recompiling of .less file triggered in prod unexpectedly

I’m observing that after startup, and then after every 20 minutes or so - actually, it seems to be quite variable - the first page after login will take 20 or more seconds to be displayed. The rest of the time it is almost instantaneous.

I’ve run a sampler over it during one of these 20+ sec periods and it seems to be spending all its time in the Less compiler. The page is using @Import:

@Import(stylesheet = { "css/client.less" })
public class Home extends LoggedIn {

I’m using tapestry-webresources-5.4.3.jar.

I was expecting this to be a one-time event, on first visit to the page after startup. Under what circumstances would you expect it to happen more than once?

Regards,

Geoff

Re: Recompiling of .less file triggered in prod unexpectedly

Posted by JumpStart <ge...@gmail.com>.
Yep, that was the solution. I now cache hard references to the .less resources instead of SoftReferences. The page that uses the .less file no longer lags (except the first time after startup).

In fact, I’m considering doing it for all assets, because I’m not clear on there being any benefit to having the GC repeatedly undoing the good work of the Tapestry asset cache.

Geoff

Posted by JumpStart <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cezary Biernacki <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JumpStart <ge...@gmail.com>.