Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> on 2011/11/29 19:18:27 UTC

buildbots for PyLucene?

I've once again spent an hour building PyLucene, which gives me some
sympathy for issue 10:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PYLUCENE-10

I was thinking about how to address this...

One thing I've found useful at PARC is to set up buildbot tests for
hard-to-package systems.  Basically, the test just waits for changes to
the SCM repository, checks out the code, and tries to build.  A nice
side-effect is that, when successful, it produces a binary for the build
slave's platform.

I'm unsure whether this would work for PyLucene.  The ASF build slaves
seem pretty coarse-grained.  I see that there is an "osx-slave", but
there's no information about it (10.5? 10.6? 10.7?), no contact, and it's
down.

A possibility would be to use the Python buildbots, but of course there's
no assurance that Java is installed on any of them.

Bill

Re: buildbots for PyLucene?

Posted by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com>.
I sent a note off to Trent Nelson to see if we could use Snakebite for
this purpose.

I'd be happy to set up a buildbot on our internal PARC Jenkins
infrastructure for this, but the results wouldn't be visible outside.

Is there a lucene-infrastructure or apache-infrastructure mailing list
this might be appropriate for?

Bill

Re: buildbots for PyLucene?

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Nov 29, 2011, at 18:04, Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> wrote:

> Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 29, 2011, at 15:18, Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've once again spent an hour building PyLucene, which gives me some
>>> sympathy for issue 10:
>>> =20
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PYLUCENE-10
>>> =20
>>> I was thinking about how to address this...
>>> =20
>>> One thing I've found useful at PARC is to set up buildbot tests for
>>> hard-to-package systems.  Basically, the test just waits for changes to
>>> the SCM repository, checks out the code, and tries to build.  A nice
>>> side-effect is that, when successful, it produces a binary for the build
>>> slave's platform.
>>> =20
>>> I'm unsure whether this would work for PyLucene.  The ASF build slaves
>>> seem pretty coarse-grained.  I see that there is an "osx-slave", but
>>> there's no information about it (10.5? 10.6? 10.7?), no contact, and it's
>>> down.
>>
>> I know nothing about the Apache buildbots. Why not contribute buildbots for P=
>> yLucene at PARC ?
>
> Because this is something the ASF should really address.  I'm happy to
> volunteer to set up a PyLucene build test on an ASF buildbot -- maybe
> more than one if it's easy to clone.

Given the bizarre netbsd(?) jail the Lucene Java bot is setup in, I can't imagine a multi OS x multi Java x multi Python build bot to materialize anytime soon.
That being said, I really don't know what is and isn't available as infrastructure from the ASF for these kinds of things so I might be completely wrong here.

Andi..

Re: buildbots for PyLucene?

Posted by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com>.

Re: buildbots for PyLucene?