Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> on 2018/03/10 16:29:51 UTC

Moving Towards Apache Compliance for Fineract CN: Hibernate to OpenJPA Migration.

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping we could take some time to discuss and come up with approaches
for achieving full Apache compliance on the Fineract CN project.
I think there are still dependencies on Fineract CN which need some
attention in terms of checking the licenses and making sure they are
compliant with the Apache license.

To that end, I began looking at the Microservices and checking the license
of each dependency in accordance with this list:
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Within the mariadb component, i realized that the
*​​mariadb-java-client* uses LGPL 2.1
​ (Is this compliant with the Apache license? )​.

​I don't know if there are other dependencies which are not Apache
compliant like the known case: Hibernate.

To migrate Fineract CN from using Hibernate to using OpenJPA, we might do
the following:

* Replace the Hibernate Validator with something more Apache compliant like
javax.validation.*
​or a corresponding OpenJPA library if such exists.

* Configure and set the LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean ( within
​
MariaDBJavaConfiguratio
n )
​ ​
to use the right JpaVendorAdapter ( OpenJPAs own equivalent of
HibernateJpaVendorAdapter ) within mariadb component​. And also the set the
right properties for OpenJPA ( peristence unit etc ).

​I will like more experienced developers/architects in the community weigh
in and provide additional details which will enable the gradual migration
from Hibernate to OpenJPA and to get other non-compliant dependencies
migrated too. From this point, volunteers can pick this up and make
progress.

​Thanks.
Awasum​ Yannick.

Re: Moving Towards Apache Compliance for Fineract CN: Hibernate to OpenJPA Migration.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Hello everyone,

This is a critical topic that Yannick has raised and I want to elevate it
once again to the inboxes of our community and namely our committers so
they can weigh in.

Thanks,

Ed

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
+1.

Someone had contacted me offlist with a ...creative approach to
resolving this problem which would have been much easier.  But that
approach won't come to fruition after all in our time frame.

My apologies for blocking on this.  It seems clear in retrospect that
I shouldn't have.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Posted by Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>.
+1

As I believe PostgreSQL has been the more open source than their counter part at least....

>     On October 31, 2018 at 10:57 AM Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I'm following up on this thread because we still haven't made progress with
>     eliminating Category X dependencies in Fineract CN which Yannick evoked
>     half a year ago.
>
>     @Myrle and @Awasum, I've read through this thread and I second Sendoro's
>     suggestion that we completely move Fineract CN's dependence on MariaDB to
>     PosgreSQL instead. Besides MariaDB's license
>     <https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/licensing-faq/> being an inadmissible
>     Category X dependency, PostgreSQL is Apache-compliant and is a good
>     alternative for MariaDB.
>
>     I think this will entail writing an equivalent library to
>     fineract-cn-mariadb <https://github.com/apache/fineract-cn-mariadb> which
>     we can name *fineract-cn-postgresql*. It may use the OpenJPA ORM which
>     replaces Hibernate and use PostgreSQL's PgJDBC driver. I've started
>     dabbling with this and will share the link to the code base tomorrow.
>
>     I want to work on this task and share my thoughts, challenges and progress
>     here with you too.
>
>     What do you think about it ?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Isaac Kamga.
>
>     On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         I think that's an excellent suggestion Sendoro. Would you like to
> >         take the lead on that? I'd be happy to provide you with any help you
> >         need to make it happen!
> >
> >         Best Regards,
> >         Myrle
> >
> >         On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>
> >         wrote:
> >
> >             > > >
> > >             Dear Myrle,
> > >
> > >             It may be irrelevant, but let me shoot anyway...!!!... please don't
> > >             through stones onto me.
> > >
> > >             PostgreSQL is believe to have very/most liberal license... as matter of
> > >             facts... it will avoid now and any future license conflict.
> > >
> > >             The question is then, why don't we select PostgreSQL as our default DBMS?
> > >
> > >                 * is it related with our skill set? or
> > >                 * it is more just related to smooth transfer from MySQL to MariaDB?
> > >
> > >             Taking into Finaract CN project take a revolution approach from its
> > >             predecessor Finaract; why also not take same approach on database?
> > >
> > >                 * after-all Fineract CN Architecture is decoupled from reliance on
> > >                   particular database system...
> > >
> > >             Refer
> > >             https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/
> > >             https://www.postgresql.org/list/
> > >             https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
> > >
> > >             Regards
> > >             Sendoro

With Best Regards

Sendoro Juma

-------------------------------

SingoAfrica Limited
Mbezi Beach | Bagamoyo Road | 7 Nakawale Str.

P.O BOX 78908 | 14121 Dar es Salaam

info@singo.africa mailto:info@singo.africa  | +255 71 262 8896 | singo.africa https://singo.africa | amala.co.tz https://amala.co.tz

Re: Moving Towards Apache Compliance for Fineract CN: Hibernate to OpenJPA Migration.

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Happy weekend fineracters,

I have created an issue for the MariaDB to PostgreSQL migration [1]
alongside 14 sub-tasks [2] so work continues in this regard.

I hope this helps.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINCN-113
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINCN-14 to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINCN-127

Cheers,
Isaac Kamga.

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Isaac,

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey Isaac,

the maridb core component is using Hibernate as the JPA provider, that's it.

Given Hibernate ORM is not compliant this needs to be adjusted.

Cheers

Markus

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Happy weekend fineracters,

Posted by Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>.
Indeed Hurray to you!!!

With Best Regards

Sendoro

>     On November 20, 2018 at 3:06 PM Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org> wrote:
>
>     Hurray !
>
>     It took about a dozen hours for the created repo to show option "...or push
>     existing repo from command line" on my end although it finally did.
>
>     So the PostgreSQL repo is now on Apache Infrastructure
>     <https://github.com/apache/fineract-cn-postgresql> and work can continue on
>     there.
>
>     On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:55 PM Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org> wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         Hello there,
> >
> >         The INFRA team has created the repo
> >         <https://github.com/apache/fineract-cn-postgresql> and I can't push to it
> >         because I don't have the right karma to do so.
> >
> >         Can anyone on the PMC get the code
> >         <https://github.com/Izakey/fineract-cn-postgresql> I've worked on and
> >         push it to the newly created repository ?
> >
> >         Cheers,
> >         Isaac Kamga.
> >
> >         On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:06 PM Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>
> >         wrote:
> >
> >             > > >
> > >             Hello there,
> > >
> > >             Thanks for your response Myrle.
> > >
> > >             I tried creating a repo using these instructions
> > >             <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Working+with+gitbox+to+contribute+to+Apache+Fineract+CN> and
> > >             hit an error, so I created an INFRA ticket
> > >             <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17273> to address it.
> > >
> > >             In the meantime, if anyone is able to successfully create the ticket
> > >             using the details in the aforementioned ticket's description, it will be a
> > >             step in the right direction.
> > >
> > >             Cheers,
> > >             Isaac Kamga.
> > >
> > >             On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 1:59 PM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >                 > > > >

> > >         > >
> >     >

With Best Regards

Sendoro Juma

-------------------------------

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Hurray !

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Hello there,

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Hello there,

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Thanks for the support Myrle, Sendoro and Awasum.

I just created a corresponding issue
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINCN-103> and have pushed the work
done on the PostgreSQL core component to this repository
<https://github.com/Izakey/fineract-cn-postgresql>.

PostgreSQL came along with it's PgJDBC driver, its default port number
being *5432*, default database instance being *postgres* and default host
being *localhost*. The HibernateJpaVendorAdapter was replaced with
OpenJpaVendorAdapter and the Hibernate dialect for MySQL was replaced with
the OpenJPA dictionary for PostgreSQL. I'm still unclear about whether
users need to employ a specific password as was done with MySQL given that
best practice says it shouldn't be so. For now, developers would have to
ensure they're logged into their *postgres* account for connection to
databases to work.

These are just the basics and I'm uncear about the specific workings of
BoneCP with PostgreSQL. Maybe the constants used have to be modified.

@Markus, @Myrle, @Awasum, Please I await your feedback on what needs to be
improved upon here.

@Myrle, if you think it's time to transfer this repository
<https://github.com/Izakey/fineract-cn-postgresql> to Apache infra,