Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by sureshkumar nandakumar <su...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/09 07:59:42 UTC

svn version in other format

 Hi,

I need SVN branch all the files along with all the versions in zip or tar
format.

I Know using svn dump, we can take svn branch all the files along with
versions.

But it can be read only if we load any SVN repository.

Instead of loading the dump files in some other repository, I want to get
all the files along with all the version in tar or zip format.

If I extract tar or zip file in any location which is not related to SVN, I
should find all the files along with all version.

Can anyone please advice to me, how can get this done.

Your advice is more useful to me.

Regards,
N.Suresh

RE: svn version in other format

Posted by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens.com>.

I think the OP wants a way to package up the complete history of e.g. a branch in e.g. a zip file and be able to unzip that somewhere outside subversion and still see all the history.  Quite why is a mystery.

> However, I don't get why you would want to dump/load a
> repository. If you want to get at older revisions in the
> repository, you have been missing that this is always
> possible, just specify the "-r" option for update or
> checkout. These are basics, btw, so you should really
> reread the documentation!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Uli

My short answer to the OP is: there is no simple way to do this.  It is not something that subversion is designed for.  You could do it by hand with quite a lot of effort (writing a script would probably help).  Like Uli said, perhaps if you tell us why we might be able to help better.

~ mark c

Re: svn version in other format

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
Am 09.11.2011 07:59, schrieb sureshkumar nandakumar:
> I need SVN branch all the files along with all the versions in zip or tar
> format.
>
> I Know using svn dump, we can take svn branch all the files along with
> versions.
>

> But it can be read only if we load any SVN repository.
>
> Instead of loading the dump files in some other repository, I want to get
> all the files along with all the version in tar or zip format.
>

> If I extract tar or zip file in any location which is not related to SVN, I
> should find all the files along with all version.

Hi!

To be honest, I don't understand your description of what you want to
do. It would also be better to ask how to achieve something instead of
asking for a specific (possibly bad) way to do something. Understanding
the goals often helps giving better advices.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you want to store zip files
and tar files of certain versions (I guess the tags of your code) in the
repository. You can do that easily, just put them in there.

However, I don't get why you would want to dump/load a repository. If
you want to get at older revisions in the repository, you have been
missing that this is always possible, just specify the "-r" option for
update or checkout. These are basics, btw, so you should really reread
the documentation!

Cheers!

Uli
Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: svn version in other format

Posted by sureshkumar nandakumar <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uli,

Thanks for your reply.

Here I am explain my clarification in details.

Our Clients are using Latest SVN in our domain. They are using Red hat
Linux & They are accessing svn repository using Tortoise Client.

They have multiple branches in SVN repository. Each branches They have
around 1000 files.

My question is, Apart from dump command,  I would like to take tar of SVN
branch files along with all the reversions.

Why because, we have two version control tools. Subversion is using our
Clients and We are using Base Clearcase which was installed in AIX server.

We have to merge Subversion braches and tags, whatever changes done by
Client, the same changes we needs to be merge with Clearcase.

I have read many article like svn2cc,Clearsvn,CM bridge and Git. All saying
that it is not possible with AIX server installed Clearcase.

And also, we have CollabNet support, I had a call with them, but my bad
luck, they are not familiar to advice.

I did many follow ups, I didn’t get any proper advice. That’s why I am
seeking your advice.

If it is possible please guide me, how can get this done.

If it is not possible, please lead me any other alternate solution.

Please advice to me accordingly……….