Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Morozova, Nadezhda" <na...@intel.com> on 2006/10/17 11:26:19 UTC

[doc]too many building instructions?

Folks,

I've had a strange impression just now that we have too many building
instructions for Harmony sources:

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_cla
sslib.html Building Class Library only

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.htm

[3] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html - building
instructions for the whole bundle (VM + Classlib), in a short and
detailed versions; the detailed version (for contributors) has specifics
for building classlib and vm in addition to common steps

[4] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/FrontPage - startup Wiki page that
has a link to [1], a placeholder for a future page
BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting. The last two pages
seem to have similar intentions - show specifics/typical errors when
building code.

[5] READMEs for Classlib and for VM, with links to some of the sources
above or repetition of these sources.

Does this not seem like writing about actually the same thing in many
places? My suggestion on improving this would be:

1.	Remove [1], migrate unique bits (not repeated elsewhere) to [2]
or [3] as fits better.
2.	Edit [4] to replace the BuildingInstructions link from [1] to
[2], so that instructions for both classlib and vm are retrievable.
3.	Place a More Details link at [3] to [2], work to minimize
repetition between these.
4.	Name BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting in a
similar way to show that they are about the same thing.

I am sorry if this all sounds confusing or if I missed/misunderstood
some things. Just trying to keep things in a minimal number of places -
for easier maintenance and browsing.

Cheers,

Nadya Morozova

Re: [doc]too many building instructions?

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x206 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> Egor Pasko wrote:
> > Nadezhda,
> > thanks for a bunch of good points! I find the number of (sometimes
> > contradicting) building howtos misleading too.
> > On the 0x205 day of Apache Harmony Nadezhda Morozova wrote:
> >> Folks, I've had a strange impression just now that we have too many
> >> building
> >> instructions for Harmony sources: [1]
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_cla
> >> sslib.html Building Class Library only
> > This one is outdated, I would encourage to use [2] instead.
> >
> >> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html
> >> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html -
> >> building
> >> instructions for the whole bundle (VM + Classlib), in a short and
> >> detailed versions; the detailed version (for contributors) has specifics
> >> for building classlib and vm in addition to common steps
> > [2] is not about building, just unpacking a snapshot and running.
>
> To be clear, I think you meant [3].

I did.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.