Posted to builds@apache.org by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org> on 2021/08/19 20:25:43 UTC

[Hosting] mysql-vip2 (mysql3/mysql4) 5.6 -> 5.7 Upgrade, August 23, 2021 2-4PM PDT

All,

We will be performing an upgrade on one of our MySQL clusters (mysql-vip2
(mysql3/mysql4)) next Monday, August 23, 2021 between 2-4PM PDT.

`date -d '1400 PDT` <-- Display this time in your local time zone.

Services Impacted:

   - OpenStack control plane and API endpoints (all clusters)
   - OSL RT
   - SQLGrey on OSL mail relays
   - Various projects which use this cluster

We are upgrading from MySQL (Percona Server) from 5.6 to 5.7. This will
bring us to a version which includes additional features that have been
required with some projects.

Outage summary:

We have tested the upgrade in a variety of ways (thanks to our student
Robert Detjens for doing this hard work!) and believe our migration should
have minimal impacts to services. However, there will likely be a small
outage when we run mysql_upgrade since it requires a write lock.

Migration steps:

Here's a summary of the steps we're planning on taking for the migration:

   1. Stop configuration management cron job
   2. Stop replication on both nodes
   3. Perform upgrade on mysql4 (does not have the VIP)
   4. Start daemon on mysql4 (will join as secondary), wait for catch up
   5. Switch VIP to mysql4
   6. Stop replication again on both nodes
   7. Perform upgrade on mysql3
   8. Start daemon on mysql3 (will join as secondary), wait for catch up
   9. Switch VIP to mysql3
   10. Run mysql_upgrade on mysql3 (needs write lock)
   11. Run mysql_upgrade on mysql4 (needs write lock)
   12. Run and re-enable configuration management

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. We'll be in
#osuosl on Libera Chat in case any one needs to run us directly.

We plan on doing a similar upgrade to our other MySQL cluster, but that
will happen later and will require additional steps.

Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson
Director

Re: [Hosting] mysql-vip2 (mysql3/mysql4) 5.6 -> 5.7 Upgrade, August 23, 2021 2-4PM PDT

Posted by Robert Detjens <de...@osuosl.org>.
Updated certificates have been deployed and clients should now be able to
use SSL connections correctly. If there are any further issues, please open
a support ticket or reach us in #osuosl on Libera Chat.

Posted by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org>.