Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2000/08/21 16:16:35 UTC

[H/OT] ANNOUNCE: Pod::HtmlPsPdf ver 0.01

[H/OT] == half / off topic :)

I've just released the Pod::HtmlPsPdf (which used to be a part of the
guide's building code).

It's off topic since it has nothing to do with mod_perl.
It's on  topic since you need it to build the guide (and soon other
mod_perl docs).

CPAN:
  file: $CPAN/authors/id/S/ST/STAS/Pod-HtmlPsPdf-0.01.tar.gz
  size: 118932 bytes
   md5: d90736fc993fe71fdaaa0988ee2a16e4

NAME
    Pod::HtmlPsPdf - documentation projects builder in HTML, PS and PDF
    formats

SYNOPSYS
      pod2hpp [options] configuration_file_location

      -h    this help
      -v    verbose
      -i    podify pseudo-pod items (s/^* /=item */)
      -s    create the splitted html version
      -t    create tar.gz
      -p    generate PS file
      -d    generate PDF file
      -f    force a complete rebuild
      -a    print available hypertext anchors
      -l    do hypertext links validation
      -m    executed from Makefile (forces rebuild,
                                    no PS/PDF file,
                                    no tgz archive!)

DESCRIPTION
    This code knows to do following with a collection of your POD files.

    1   Generate HTMLs

    2   Generate a split version HTML, creating html file for each pod
        section, and having everything interlinked of course. This version
        is used best for the search.

    3   Generate a single book-like version in PostScript format

    4   Generate a single book-like version in PDF format

    5   Complete the POD on the fly from the files in POD format. This is
        used to ease the generating of the presentations slides, so one
can
        use `*' instead of a long =over/=item/.../=item/=back strings. The
        rest is done as before. Take a look at the special version of the
        html2ps format to generate nice slides in
        *conf/html2ps-slides.conf*.

    You can customise the look and feel of the HTML files, PS and
therefore
    the PDF by tweaking the template files in *./tmpl* directory.

    You can change look and feel of the PS (PDF) versions by modifying
    *./conf/html2ps.conf*. Be careful that if your documentation that you
    want to put in one PS or PDF file is very big and you tell html2ps to
    put the TOC at the beginning you will need lots of memory because it
    won't write a single byte to the disk before it gets all the HTML
markup
    converted to PS.

    To generate HTML this code use a slightly modified version of the
    `Pod::Html' code and than does a lot of massage on the resulting HTML.
    I've tried to keep the pod2html code modified as little as possible,
so
    when a new versions of the original `Pod::Html' module will be
released
    I'll be able to merge the changes with my version.

EXTENDED POD SYNTAX
    I've extended the POD syntax to accomodate my own needs. Note that
this
    can be always converted back to the standard POD. To see the extended
    syntax, refer to the *docs/extended_pod.pod* in the package
    distribution.

CONFIGURATION
    All you have to prepare is a single config file that you then pass as
an
    argument to `pod2hpp':

      pod2hpp [options] /full/path/to/config/file

    Use the file *project.config* supplied in the directory
*sample*. Modify
    it to be suit your documentation project layout.

    Note that *sample/bin/build* script automatically locates your
project's
    directory, so you can move your project around filesystem without
    changing anything.

    *sample/README.sample* explains the layout of the directories. The
    easiest way to learn to use this package is to look at the
    `Apache::mod_perl_guide' package available at CPAN. I've developed the
    package `Pod::HtmlPsPdf' especially for `Apache::mod_perl_guide'.

PREREQUISITES
    All these are not required if all you want is to generate only the
html
    version.

    * ps2pdf
        Needed to generate the PDF version

    * Storable
        Perl module available from CPAN (http://cpan.org/)

        Allows source modification control, so if you modify only one file
        you will not have to rebuild everything to get the updated
        HTML/PS/PDF files.

SUPPORT
    Notice that this tool relies on two tools (ps2pdf and html2ps) which I
    don't support. So if you have any problem first make sure that it's
not
    a problem of these tools.

    Note that while `html2ps' is included in this distribution, it's
written
    in the old style Perl, so if you have patches send them along, but I
    won't try to fix/modify this code otherwise. I didn't write this
    utility.

    This package works for me on Linux RedHat and Mandrake systems. I
    release it only to share. Unfortunately I don't have time to help with
    each available platform. If you have a problem, please don't contact
me.
    I'm not going to solve it. If you solve the problem, I'll gladly
accept
    the patch for others to benefit. Remember that this is a free
software.

BUGS
    Huh? Probably many...

AUTHOR
    Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>

SEE ALSO
    perl(1), Pod::HTML(3), html2ps(1), ps2pod(1), Storable(3)

COPYRIGHT
    This program is distributed under the Artistic License, like the Perl
    itself.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org