Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Jeffrey N. Miller" <mi...@cottonteam.com> on 2005/06/02 03:49:13 UTC

spamd and bayes question

I want to use Spamassassin with MIMEDefang and Sendmail as a SMTP Gateway.  Can you use spamd/spamc with this method or does it just invoke the script method?  Also, what is the best way to train spamassassin if I have a SPAM dump in MSExchange public folders?  Or is there a better way of training bayes?

Re: spamd and bayes question

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
Jeffrey N. Miller wrote:
> I want to use Spamassassin with MIMEDefang and Sendmail as a SMTP
> Gateway.  Can you use spamd/spamc with this method or does it just
> invoke the script method?  Also, what is the best way to train
> spamassassin if I have a SPAM dump in MSExchange public folders?  Or is
> there a better way of training bayes?

1) Can't really help you there, as I don't use MIMEDefang.  Try
http://www.mimedefang.org/.

2) Access the messages via IMAP using this script:
http://www.dmzs.com/tools/files/spam.phtml

The downside to this approach is that Exchange will strip off many
useful headers when accessing messages via IMAP, but it's still a good
start for Bayes training.  Your only other option is to resend the mail
from within Outlook.  For that, see here:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ResendingMailWithHeaders

- S

Re: spamd and bayes question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 09:49 PM 6/1/2005, Jeffrey N. Miller wrote:
>I want to use Spamassassin with MIMEDefang and Sendmail as a SMTP
>Gateway.  Can you use spamd/spamc with this method or does it just invoke
>the script method?

Neither, mimedefang invokes SA directly at the perl API level. Since
Mimedefang is already running in perl, invoking a separate process to use
spamc/spamd would be slower.

The direct API level call is the fastest way for persistent perl daemons to
call on SA. Effectively, these tools act as their own spamd by keeping an
instance of SA always loaded and ready. However, the efficiency gain of
using the API only works for perl daemons.

Perl scripts that execute, scan mail, and exit are better off invoking
spamc. If they implement the API, they're no better than the spamassassin
script.