Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/22 18:51:18 UTC

[VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Hi,

I have posted a candidate for the jackrabbit-core 1.4.3 release at

   http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/jackrabbit-core-1.4.3/

See the RELEASE-NOTES.txt file (also included at the end of this
message) for details on release contents and latest changes. The
release candidate is a jar archive of the sources in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-core-1.4.3.
The MD5 checksum of the release package is:

   ca9b9ff275c18a2df8f167036954d1ec  jackrabbit-core-1.4.3-src.jar

Please vote on releasing this package as jackrabbit-core 1.4.3. The
vote is on for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
three +1 votes are cast. The vote is open for everyone but only votes
from Jackrabbit PMC members are binding.

   [ ] +1 Release this package as jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Here's my +1.

As before, I have also included a pre-compiled binary and a staged
Maven repository produced from the packaged source. If this vote
passes, I will make these artifacts available to users along with the
official source release.

PS. See http://www.nabble.com/Release-auditing-guidelines-p8481069.html
for release auditing guidelines I wrote last year.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Release Notes -- Apache Jackrabbit Core -- Version 1.4.3

Introduction
------------

This is the 1.4.3 patch release of the jackrabbit-core component of
Apache Jackrabbit, a fully conforming implementation of the Content
Repository for Java Technology API (JCR).

This release contains fixes to a number of issues and adds functionality
to help recovery from repository inconsistencies. See below for
the full list of changes in this release.

See the Apache Jackrabbit website at http://jackrabbit.apache.org/ for
more information.

Release Contents
----------------

Unlike previous Jackrabbit releases that contained a full set of components,
this patch release only contains the jackrabbit-core component. The component
is distributed both as a source archive and a pre-compiled binary.

    * Source archive (jackrabbit-core-1.4.3-src.jar)

        The source archive contains the full source code of this release
        in a "jackrabbit-core-1.4.3" directory. Use the following commands
        (or the equivalent in your environment) to build the component
        with Maven 2 and Java 1.4 or higher:

          $ jar xf jackrabbit-core-1.4.3-src.jar
          $ cd jackrabbit-1.4.3
          $ mvn install

    * Pre-compiled binary (jackrabbit-core-1.4.3.jar)

        Core of the Apache Jackrabbit content repository implementation.

See the included README.txt file for more information.

Each release file is accompanied by SHA1 and MD5 checksums and a PGP
signature. The public key used for the signatures can be found
in the KEYS file.

Changes and known issues in this release

All the changes and known issues in this release are listed below.
The issue identifier and title is listed for each change and known issue.
You can look up individual issues for more details in the Jackrabbit
issue tracker at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR

  New features
  [JCR-1428] Add API for selective bundle consistency check ...

  Improvements
  [JCR-1326] Log path of missing node when re-indexing fails
  [JCR-1492] Make behaviour configurable when re-indexing detects workspace ...

  Bug fixes
  [JCR-1444] The getOutputStream of the MemoryFileSystem class can replace ...
  [JCR-1474] consistency check fails with derbypm if bundle size exceeds 32k
  [JCR-1476] Restore to base version throws NullPointerException
  [JCR-1481] VersionHistory.removeVersion() does not throw ...
  [JCR-1484] Node.getReferences() does not properly reflect saved but not ...
  [JCR-1487] Transient states should be persisted in depth-first traversal ...
  [JCR-1491] UUID check in BundleFsPersistenceManager.getListRecursive() ...
  [JCR-1499] Error logged when repository is shut down
  [JCR-1502] Journal log file rotation overwrites old files
  [JCR-1503] Typo in repository.xml
  [JCR-1512] Incorrect check for replace when importing item with colliding id
  [JCR-1515] CompactNodeTypeDefWriter uses bad format for residual properties
  [JCR-1518] BundleFsPersistenceManager has no property called: minBlobSize
  [JCR-1519] Property.getLength() returns -1 for BOOLEAN, REFERENCE and ...
  [JCR-1536] "Index already present" exception when opening a restored ...
  [JCR-1540] BundleDbPersistenceManager.checkConsistency() only fixes ...
  [JCR-1541] Evict fixed NodePropBundle from cache
  [JCR-1546] H2PersistenceManager: no need to call shutdown; javadoc bugs

  Known issues
  [JCR-43]   Restore on nodes creates same-name-sibling of ...
  [JCR-320]  BinaryValue equals fails for two objects with ...
  [JCR-392]  Querying element by number does not work
  [JCR-435]  Node.update() does not work correct for SNS
  [JCR-449]  inconsistency in internal version items during commits
  [JCR-517]  Reserved status of namespace jcr not enforced
  [JCR-522]  XPath parser too tolerant
  [JCR-537]  Failure to remove a versionable node
  [JCR-538]  failing Node.checkin() or Node.checkout() might leave ...
  [JCR-566]  Versioning bug with restore and transactions
  [JCR-575]  unicode escapes in files generated by JJTree
  [JCR-591]  XPath position function does not work
  [JCR-639]  Allow modification of OPV=IGNORE items even if parent ...
  [JCR-643]  Own AccessManager + VersionManager : AccessDenied problem
  [JCR-690]  Nodes' and properties' names with invalid XML ...
  [JCR-709]  ArrayStoreException is thrown when jcr:deref() is used ...
  [JCR-777]  Order by clause using child axis does not throw ...
  [JCR-843]  XPath does not work with sub-axes
  [JCR-888]  javax.jcr.NamespaceException: : is not a registered namespace uri
  [JCR-908]  Unable to properly restore a previous version of a node that ...
  [JCR-932]  Lossy SQL parsing
  [JCR-935]  ConcurrentModificationException during logout (cont'd)
  [JCR-936]  Using Oracle bundle PM throws SQL exception (cannot insert NULL)
  [JCR-983]  fn:upper accepted in too many places
  [JCR-1002] QueryManager does not throw exception if property name ...
  [JCR-1075] Error with predicate in query with multiple jcr:deref()
  [JCR-1117] Bundle cache is not rolled back when the storage of a ...
  [JCR-1135] boolean value constraints exposed in custom format
  [JCR-1173] Session scoped lock has no effect on other cluster nodes
  [JCR-1187] Asking a property twice for it's stream returns the same ...
  [JCR-1211] QueryManager does not throw exception if jcr:deref is used in ...
  [JCR-1223] Occasional NPE on node checkin
  [JCR-1248] ParseException if search string ends with '!'
  [JCR-1334] Deadlock with XA enabled
  [JCR-1354] Repository shutdown reposts ERROR: failed to close connection
  [JCR-1360] Parsing built-in CND and XML nodetypes does not result in ...
  [JCR-1362] DatabaseJournal improperly finds tables in external schemas ...
  [JCR-1367] Exception when closing connection under db2
  [JCR-1387] Lock token not removed from session when node is removed
  [JCR-1440] NPE Thrown when two Cluster Nodes are hitting the same ...
  [JCR-1450] move method of the MemoryFileSystem may accept invalid ...
  [JCR-1532] ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed exception with Derby DB

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Marcel Reutegger
<ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > New features
> > > [JCR-1428] Add API for selective bundle consistency check ...
> >
> > Hmm, something I didn't fully realize until now: this feature
> > introduces a new method in the PersistenceManager interface, requiring
> > all custom persistence managers (that don't extend
> > AbstractPersistenceManager) to be updated.
>
>  please note that we also did this for the 1.3.4 release.

Yes, though it should be noted that 1.3.4 was a somewhat of a special
case release.

In summary I think this whole episode serves to highlight the benefits
of sticking to a strict bug fixes only -policy for patch releases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> New features
>> [JCR-1428] Add API for selective bundle consistency check ...
>
> Hmm, something I didn't fully realize until now: this feature
> introduces a new method in the PersistenceManager interface, requiring
> all custom persistence managers (that don't extend
> AbstractPersistenceManager) to be updated.

please note that we also did this for the 1.3.4 release.

regards
  marcel

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Most custom PMs probably inherit from AbstractPersistenceManager,
don't they? Then it's not a big deal, since the method is implemented
with an empty body there.

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Tobias Bocanegra
<to...@day.com> wrote:
>  > The release was already pushed out to the central Maven repository and
>  >  pulling it back would be a bit troublesome. How about if we treated
>  >  this as a regression and fixed it ASAP (next week) in 1.4.4?
>  ok for me. i created a new issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1556.

Thanks, I'll take it from there.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
>  >  oh, i didn't realize this neither...so in this case i'm rather against
>  >  this release.
>  >  if it's not too late, i would vote -1 and remove this method from the
>  >  interface again, but leave it in the abstract pm. so users could cast
>  >  to abstract pm if they need it.
>

> The release was already pushed out to the central Maven repository and
>  pulling it back would be a bit troublesome. How about if we treated
>  this as a regression and fixed it ASAP (next week) in 1.4.4?
ok for me. i created a new issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1556.

--
toby

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
> > New features
>  > [JCR-1428] Add API for selective bundle consistency check ...
>

> Hmm, something I didn't fully realize until now: this feature
>  introduces a new method in the PersistenceManager interface, requiring
>  all custom persistence managers (that don't extend
>  AbstractPersistenceManager) to be updated.
>
>  The PersistenceManager interface is kind of internal to
>  jackrabbit-core, and we've never made any backwards compatibility
>  promises about it, but there are a number of custom persistence
>  managers out there and changing such a central interface in a patch
>  release is a bit reckless.
>
>  I'm still going forward with the release, but will include a clear
>  warning about this in the release announcement.
oh, i didn't realize this neither...so in this case i'm rather against
this release.
if it's not too late, i would vote -1 and remove this method from the
interface again, but leave it in the abstract pm. so users could cast
to abstract pm if they need it.

regards, toby

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Please vote on releasing this package as jackrabbit-core 1.4.3. The
>  vote is on for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
>  three +1 votes are cast. The vote is open for everyone but only votes
>  from Jackrabbit PMC members are binding.

The vote passes as follows:

    +1 Jukka Zitting
    +1 Thomas Mueller
    +1 Tobias Bocanegra

Thanks for voting! I'll push the release out.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-core 1.4.3

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
tested the release as follows:
* downloaded src, checked md5
* ran: mvn install, successful