Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by co...@sapo.pt on 2010/03/01 17:47:40 UTC

Centralize settings...

Hello!

Actually we have a lot of different web applications with specific
settings for each one, namelly: JNDI, SPRING, logging properties, JMS
properties, etc...
Some of these webapplication could be deployed in different TOMCAT
instances. The centralization of these settings would be a major
improvement to facilitate the setup task and minimize the setup time.

What is the best way to implement a central file with all of these settings?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards
C.o.u.v.a

Re: Centralize settings...

Posted by Jason Brittain <ja...@mulesource.com>.
Yes, using Tcat Server profiles is another way.  Create a new profile that
contains
all of the Tomcat configuration you want, and any files you want to add into
your
Tomcat installation (binary or text), and you can apply the profile to any
number
of regular Tomcat installations, potentially across multiple machines.  The
console
allows you a central point of administration of the server profile.  See
this page
for some more details:

http://blogs.mulesoft.org/saving-time-using-tcat-servers-centralized-configuration-management

Tcat Server is commercial software, but it is free for pre-production use.

There are other ways of centrally administering a set of configuration files
for
doing what you're asking about, though I think they're more time consuming,
or they involve some custom programming, or both.  Some examples include:
1. Writing your own Ant build files that use the SSH task to scp files to
the machines
  that should have the files.  This works fine, but involves lots of custom
  programming.
2. Writing a shell script that uses rsync or SSH, which ends up very similar
to #1.
3. Using a more complex configuration management tool such as SystemImager
   http://systemimager.org but it isn't as simple to get it working, it
makes some
   assumptions about what you're trying to do that probably aren't correct,
and it
   doesn't provide any Tomcat specific features, such as server diagnostics,
   webapp deployment, or server restarts.  SystemImager is only for imaging
   whole machines.

I hope this helps.
--
Jason Brittain
Mulesoft <http://www.mulesoft.com>

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:00 AM, <co...@sapo.pt> wrote:

> Thanks.
> any more suggestion? I red some interesting about Tcat Server Server
> Profiles.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Citando Pid <pi...@pidster.com>:
>

>  On 01/03/2010 16:47, couva@sapo.pt wrote:
>>

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Actually we have a lot of different web applications with specific
>>> settings for each one, namelly: JNDI, SPRING, logging properties, JMS
>>> properties, etc...
>>> Some of these webapplication could be deployed in different TOMCAT
>>> instances. The centralization of these settings would be a major
>>> improvement to facilitate the setup task and minimize the setup time.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to implement a central file with all of these
>>> settings?
>>>

>> Do it at build time.  So many different configuration requirements would
>> be very difficult to do otherwise.
>>
>> Putting configuration files into a source repository and writing scripts
>> to generate multiple outputs is sometimes recommended here.

>>  Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> C.o.u.v.a

Re: Centralize settings...