Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/01 15:18:45 UTC

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

On 29/02/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Comments on last version ..
>
>  - It looks like you are using a non-applicable template for the board
> resolution. Take a look at other incubator graduation resolutions.
>  - Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't applicable,
>  and the incubator needs to be discharged of responsibility.

See below - only half of the above seems to have been addressed.

> - Can you rework this; it's simply too recursive.  Deconstruct Qpid
> Messaging back to it's purpose/definition.  Thanks :)

Still seems recursive to me, see below.

> Attached is an updated charter with corrections for these. Please review
>
>  Kind regards.
>

>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>        Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>        open-source software related to the Qpid messaging implementation,

Is Qpid an existing independent implementation?
And is the project creating software for it?

I would expect the project to implement (i.e. create and maintain an
implementation of) a protocol or an API or other kind of
specification.

>        for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Qpid Project",
>        be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>        Foundation; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Qpid Project be and hereby is
>        responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>        related to the Qpid messaging implementation; a multiple
>        language implementation based on the Advanced Messaged
>        Queuing Protocol (AMQP) and related technologies such as
>        messaging transaction management, federation, security,
>        management; and be it further

Still seems circular to me.
See also comments on Qpid above.

>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Qpid" be and
>        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
>        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
>        Apache Qpid Project, and to have primary responsibility for
>        management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
>        of the Apache Qpid Project; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>        hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>        Apache Qpid Project:
>
>          * Alan Conway
>          * Arnaud Simon
>          * Carl Trieloff
>          * Gordon Sim
>          * John O'Hara
>          * Marnie McCormack
>          * Martin Ritchie
>          * Rafael Schloming
>          * Rajith Attapattu
>          * Robert Greig
>          * Robert Godfrey

None of the mentors seem to be included.
Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?

>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that
>        Carl Trieloff be appointed to the office of Vice President,
>        Qpid, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
>        direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
>        Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
>        disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
>        further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Qpid Project be and
>        hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended
>        to encourage open development and increased participation in
>        the Qpid Project; and be it further

Is the above paragraph needed?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:12 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>  > On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
>>  > > None of the mentors seem to be included.
>>  > > Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?
>>  >
>>  > Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
>>  > therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.
>>  >
>>  > However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
>>  > graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
>>  > if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.
>>
>>  I would go one further - I'd expect at least some of the mentors to be
>>  members of the graduated PMC for some time. Without that, it is quite
>>  possible that we have a PMC that has no ASF members on it (of course,
>>  not all mentors are ASF members). Given that ASF members are the glue
>>  that keep the foundation together, having some members on every PMC is
>>  important.
>>

> And in fact is the one form question that gets asked by the board when
> looking at the resolutions - "Who are the members?".

Cliff Schmidt
Paul Fremantle
Yoav Shapira
Scott Deboy
and most recently help from Craig Russell

Paul and Yoav have indicated they will be remaining on the PMC post
graduation.

Carl.

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:12 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>  > On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
>  > > None of the mentors seem to be included.
>  > > Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?
>  >
>  > Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
>  > therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.
>  >
>  > However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
>  > graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
>  > if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.
>
>  I would go one further - I'd expect at least some of the mentors to be
>  members of the graduated PMC for some time. Without that, it is quite
>  possible that we have a PMC that has no ASF members on it (of course,
>  not all mentors are ASF members). Given that ASF members are the glue
>  that keep the foundation together, having some members on every PMC is
>  important.

And in fact is the one form question that gets asked by the board when
looking at the resolutions - "Who are the members?".

We're uncomfortable with new TLPs that are disjunct from the rest of
the foundation. So when a project lacks people who are known in other
parts of the foundation, then one of the board members volunteers to
go mentor them etc. Much easier if the preceding mentors hang around a
bit longer :)

Hen

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:12 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
> > None of the mentors seem to be included.
> > Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?
>
> Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
> therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.
>
> However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
> graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
> if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.

I would go one further - I'd expect at least some of the mentors to be
members of the graduated PMC for some time. Without that, it is quite
possible that we have a PMC that has no ASF members on it (of course,
not all mentors are ASF members). Given that ASF members are the glue
that keep the foundation together, having some members on every PMC is
important.

So the role of a mentor after graduation points both ways, still
providing guidance to the PMC, and also, where necessary, representing
(in the non-formal sense) the PMC to the rest of the foundation.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> Have you guys been following the Graduation Guide [1][2], I was
> checking the status page [3] for getting information around QPid and
> it seems outdated.

yes, I used the guide and we completed a process to clean up Karma and
updated the status page a few weeks ago. Cliff had worked with us on
most of the items
on the status page early on, thus the dates a while back. We however did
not rush
to graduate so that we could get the apache processes down and benefit
from the great
input we have had from out mentors.

> Also, just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing regarding
> diversity, there was some discussion in the past suggesting that
> podlings should start disclosing members affiliation when entering and
> exiting incubation.

There was a thread on this, which if you like I can did up -- problem is
that it might have
been miss-titled so it will take me a bit of digging to find it.

The summary is as follows, we have added quite a large number of
commiters throughout the
project, just prior to graduation our Mentors suggested we use a
community process to clean -up
our Karma before graduating. This has been done and removed some 10+
inactive names off the list, which
brings the committer count to 20. These are employed by multiple
organizations.

It should also be noted that we have received substantial contributions
from 6 other people that are
credited at http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/people.html

> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#notes-status

We have completed all the step at the bottom of the page on:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/qpid.html

Is it required to edit in comments on the no date items at the bottom of
that page? -- If so we can do so.
Carl.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El lun, 03-03-2008 a las 12:23 +0000, Upayavira escribió:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 07:13 -0500, Yoav Shapira wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > > On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
> > >  > None of the mentors seem to be included.
> > >  > Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?
> > >
> > >  Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
> > >  therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.
> > >
> > >  However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
> > >  graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
> > >  if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.
> >
> > I don't mind hanging around.  I think the Qpid PPMC is well-entrenched
> > in the ASF ways, so I didn't think this was necessary, but if someone
> > sees it as required, I'll hang around the QPID PMC and offer any help
> > needed.
>
> What I see as important is that there is member representation on the
> PMC. If there is sufficient member representation without you, then no
> problem!

Exactly. Lack of member representation will cause disconnects. Even if a
non-member PMC chair has access to some private channels, there will be
less awareness of their activity in both directions. The worse part of
it is that the lack of awareness will probably reduce the probability of
any of the PMC members to be nominated for ASF membership...
perpetuating the disconnect.

Regards
Santiago

> Upayavira

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
> None of the mentors seem to be included.
> Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?

Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.

However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 04.03.2008, at 20:27, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> sebb wrote:
>>>  >        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Qpid Project be and
>>>  >        hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
>>> intended
>>>  >        to encourage open development and increased
>>> participation in
>>>  >        the Qpid Project; and be it further
>>>  >
>>>  > Is the above paragraph needed?
>>>  >

>>> Checking with our mentors it seems that it is needed. any particular
>>> reason why you believe otherwise or just asking to be sure?
>>
>> Because  of the comment above:
>>
>>     "Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't
>> applicable,"
>
> Happy to remove it -- any of our  mentors want to comment?  Some
> board reports have it
> some do not. For example the latest Synapse resolution does not.

The recent HttpComponents resolution had it and a quick grep in the
previous board minutes shows that 46 out of 68 resolutions since '99
also had it; so I see no problem with keeping it in the Qpid resolution.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
sebb wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> sebb wrote:
>>  > On 29/02/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>  >

>>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>>
>>  >> Comments on last version ..
>>  >>
>>  >>  - It looks like you are using a non-applicable template for the board
>>  >> resolution. Take a look at other incubator graduation resolutions.
>>  >>  - Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't applicable,
>>

> See below.
>

>>  >>  and the incubator needs to be discharged of responsibility.
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > -See below - only half of the above seems to have been addressed.
>>

>>> Still seems recursive to me, see below.
>>>
>>  >
>>  >

>> Take a look below at the update and see what you think... I believe I
>>  have fixed
>>  the recursion you noted.
>>

>>  >
>>  >        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Qpid Project be and
>>  >        hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended
>>  >        to encourage open development and increased participation in
>>  >        the Qpid Project; and be it further
>>  >
>>  > Is the above paragraph needed?
>>  >

>> Checking with our mentors it seems that it is needed. any particular
>>  reason why you
>>  believe otherwise or just asking to be sure?
>>

> Because  of the comment above:
>
>     "Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't applicable,"

Happy to remove it -- any of our  mentors want to comment?  Some board
reports have it
some do not. For example the latest Synapse resolution does not.

>>  Updated resolution:
>>

>>       WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
>>       of open-source software related to distributed messaging,
>>       for distribution at no charge to the public.
>>

> May need to mention AMQP in the above paragraph.

looking at some of the recent resolutions, they separated definition of
the term used
in the first paragraph to the third to avoid recursion... Based on
comments I think it
is cleaner to not try to expand the definition in two places.

>>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Qpid Project",
>>       be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>>       Foundation; and be it further
>>
>>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Qpid Project be and hereby is
>>       responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>>       related to the distributed messaging; a multiple language
>>

> the distributed messaging => distributed messaging

ack

>>       implementation providing daemons and API's for publish &
>>

> API's => APIs

ack

>>       subscribe, eventing and a wide range of message distribution patterns
>>       based on the Advanced Messaged Queuing Protocol (AMQP) and
>>

> s/Messaged/Message/

ack

>>       related technologies such as (transaction management, federation,
>>       security, management); and be it further
>>

> How is this "distributed messaging" different from ActiveMQ?
> Is it just because it is based on AMQP?

yes, it is based on AMQP, provides native support for clients in
multiple languages and focuses
less on JMS as design center, rather AMQP and provides JMS as a client
API if required.

Much like Ant, Maven and Builder, all build systems but the way they do
it is quite different.

Update attached:

       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
       of open-source software related to distributed messaging,
       for distribution at no charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Qpid Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Qpid Project be and hereby is
       related to distributed messaging; a multiple language
       implementation providing daemons and APIs for publish &
       subscribe, eventing and a wide range of message distribution
patterns
       based on the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) and
       related technologies such as (transaction management, federation,
       security, management); and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Qpid" be and
       hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
       the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
       Apache Qpid Project, and to have primary responsibility for
       management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
       of the Apache Qpid Project; and be it further

       Apache Qpid Project:

         * Alan Conway
         * Arnaud Simon
         * Carl Trieloff