Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> on 2012/03/22 06:35:34 UTC

Got5-Jquery compatibility with Grid and BeanEditForm / Tapestry-Bootstrap

I am trying to use Tapestry-Bootstrap module, and it requires JQuery, which I am new to.
So, I tried to use got5-jquery, and using SUPPRESS_PROTOTYPE(true) and JQUERY_ALIAS($j)
like it says in the docs.

Some of my current screens work exactly the way they should,
but those contain BeanEditForms and Grids fail to render correctly.
For example, The Grids are missing the paging component and the sorting buttons.

BeanEditForms don't render correctly at all.  Is there something I am missing to restore compatibility?

Another question:

Can the JQuery dependency be removed from Tapestry-Bootstrap?

RE: Got5-Jquery compatibility with Grid and BeanEditForm / Tapestry-Bootstrap

Posted by WINDEY Pieter AWL-IT <pi...@atos.net>.
I think suprression of prototype is done by default and no need for the alias.

Grid should normally work (see http://tapestry5-jquery.com/core/docsgrid) although I prefer to use the datatables (http://tapestry5-jquery.com/components/docsdatatables) but styles better ;)

About the beaneditor I have no idea, never use it.

I am trying to use Tapestry-Bootstrap module, and it requires JQuery, which I am new to.
So, I tried to use got5-jquery, and using SUPPRESS_PROTOTYPE(true) and JQUERY_ALIAS($j)
like it says in the docs.

Some of my current screens work exactly the way they should,
but those contain BeanEditForms and Grids fail to render correctly.
For example, The Grids are missing the paging component and the sorting buttons.

BeanEditForms don't render correctly at all.  Is there something I am missing to restore compatibility?

Another question:

Can the JQuery dependency be removed from Tapestry-Bootstrap?

Atos Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment thereto is confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

Re: Got5-Jquery compatibility with Grid and BeanEditForm / Tapestry-Bootstrap

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:03:16 -0300, trsvax <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> different template. All three have drawbacks but at least modifying the
>> DOM does not require understanding how the component works.
>

> I think that's the way to go too. By the way, have you thought of doing part
> of the implementation as mixins, specially for specific widgets?

There is one mixin and a service that backs it up with code for
specific components. It's easier to add the same mixin to all the
components with a worker plus you can swap out services without
changing any page code. In theory you could create a service that
supports a different CSS framework and just plug it in. It also
support multiple services so you can add more services to support any
custom components you have. Unfortunately since the mixin cannot
support informal parameters you are limited to it's current set of
arguments.  I'd really like to figure out a way around this problem
but so far I'm stuck. I suspect I'm just going to add a parameter with
type Map and be done with it.

>> I can understand not wanting to modify the existing components by default.
>> Unfortunately you can't really mix the Tapestry CSS and the Bootstrap CSS.
>

> Why? What bad results did you have? Tapestry's CSS is just enough to make
> the components not look bad out-of-the-box. I would never ever consider it a
> CSS framework. In addition, using DOM rewriting (MarkupWriterFilter or
> mixin, doesn't matter), you can remove the class attributes and add your
> own.

I did have some problems. Tapestry is pretty good about putting t-
infront of everything and if you removed all the t- classes it would
work but then there is really no point in having the Tapestry CSS. The
issues are really a combination of the CSS and HTML structure. For
example the form markup is very different. BeanEditor adds a lot of
markup where as Bootstrap wants just a straight up form.

>> I suspect this is true of any framework type CSS.  They just fight with
>> each other consequently I think you are stuck with the all or nothing
>> approach. If you have other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.
>

> Either way, as I said, Tapestry's CSS can be ignored, you just need to cover
> yourself what it covered before.
>

>> As far as removing the got5-jQuery requirement I'm on the fence. While
>> Bootstrap will work without jQuery important things like dropdown menus
>> don't work without it. So again realistically I think you may be stuck
>> with the all or nothing approach.
>

> I guess you can break it in two parts: one just with CSS, without any
> dependencies beyond Tapestry, and the other with the JS stuff and
> tapestry5-jquery dependency.

I don't think it's that hard to split them I'm just not sure how
useful Bootstrap is without jQuery. So I'm not sure it's worth the
effort.

>> I have tried to make sure it will work with
>> both Prototype and jQuery so you don't have to throw out any Prototype
>> code.
>

> Nice!
>

>> As far as the download I was thinking about Less but now that they have
>> the zip download I think I'm going to support that. I'll provide a default
>> but the idea is you just download the zip file and drop it in your project.
>> You don't even unzip it. You could also use Less if you like.
>

> If you provide the Bootstrap widgets as components or mixins, each one of
> them will be able to @Import the needed CSS and JS files, so you can have
> all them inside the JAR but each page import only what it really uses.

Currently I have all the JS included separately by the mixin but now
Twitter allows you to download a bundle configured the way you want it
and I think I'm going to switch to that method. The javascript file is
only 21K, CSS 90K so I think it's easier to just go to here

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/download.html

configure what you want and then just drop the zip file into WEB-INF
in your project. If the module finds the bootstrap.zip file (or a
bootstrap directory) in WEB-INF it will just use it.

> Gosh, I really wish I had the time to try Tapestry-Bootstrap. :( Maybe next
> week. :)

I've found the Bootstrap CSS nice looking, robust and easy to use. The
responsive version is also very interesting.

I've got one API to change and then I'm going to write more test
cases. Hopefully I can get it Beta quality in the next couple of
weeks.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:03:16 -0300, trsvax <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> different template. All three have drawbacks but at least modifying the
> DOM does not require understanding how the component works.

I think that's the way to go too. By the way, have you thought of doing
part of the implementation as mixins, specially for specific widgets?

> I can understand not wanting to modify the existing components by
> default. Unfortunately you can't really mix the Tapestry CSS and the
> Bootstrap CSS.

Why? What bad results did you have? Tapestry's CSS is just enough to make
the components not look bad out-of-the-box. I would never ever consider it
a CSS framework. In addition, using DOM rewriting (MarkupWriterFilter or
mixin, doesn't matter), you can remove the class attributes and add your
own.

> I suspect this is true of any framework type CSS.  They just fight with
> each other consequently I think you are stuck with the all or nothing
> approach. If you have other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Either way, as I said, Tapestry's CSS can be ignored, you just need to
cover yourself what it covered before.

> As far as removing the got5-jQuery requirement I'm on the fence. While
> Bootstrap will work without jQuery important things like dropdown menus
> don't work without it. So again realistically I think you may be stuck
> with the all or nothing approach.

I guess you can break it in two parts: one just with CSS, without any
dependencies beyond Tapestry, and the other with the JS stuff and
tapestry5-jquery dependency.

> I have tried to make sure it will work with
> both Prototype and jQuery so you don't have to throw out any Prototype
> code.

Nice!

> As far as the download I was thinking about Less but now that they have
> the zip download I think I'm going to support that. I'll provide a
> default but the idea is you just download the zip file and drop it in
> your project. You don't even unzip it. You could also use Less if you
> like.

If you provide the Bootstrap widgets as components or mixins, each one of
them will be able to @Import the needed CSS and JS files, so you can have
all them inside the JAR but each page import only what it really uses.

Gosh, I really wish I had the time to try Tapestry-Bootstrap. :( Maybe
next week. :)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Got5-Jquery compatibility with Grid and BeanEditForm / Tapestry-Bootstrap

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Forget about removing Got5-JQuery.  If it isn't the problem let's table that issue.
I will wind up using it anyway.

About the CSS issues:
In any CSS/JS library modules for T5, i.e. Got5-JQuery, T5Conduit for LessCSS/CoffeeScript, etc.
the actual CSS or JS is included in the library.  If you add it to the classpath, things 'just work'

This is not the case with Bootstrap, for now, as just putting it onto the CLASSPATH breaks existing functionality.

Here is what I suggest:
- Include Bootstrap files in T5-Bootstrap

- Detect if Bootstrap CSS is included in the Layout component, as you suggested in your reply
If not, leave everything alone.
If yes, proceed with the code to modify the CSS

I can't have the web site look change when adding something to the classpath.

Thank you!

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Barry, thanks for sending me in the right direction!
Any chance of having it all work out-of-tbe-box without
having to download bootstrap myself and modifying my layout component?

I don't think the module should modify (break) the Tapestry components by default.

Thanks a lot!

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:09:16 -0300, trsvax <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help me understand what you are saying. I understand most modules do not
> change the look of your site but to me if you include the bootstrap
> module it's because you want to change the look for your site.

Agreed.

> Currently if you include bootstrap it will for example modify all your
> Grid components. I think what you are saying is you would like control
> over what Grids are modified? It that correct?

Suggestion: what about creating a BootstrapGrid mixin instead of changing
all grids? Or at least has this configurable?

Posted by trsvax <tr...@gmail.com>.
I may have been a bit premature with my grim assessment of combining Tapestry
and Bootstrap CSS. i tried grid first and ran into problems so i assumed
there would be problems will everything. After looking into things a bit
more it may be the only thing that does not work is grid and I think I may
be able to fix that by including the Bootstrap CSS before the Tapestry one.

Re: Got5-Jquery compatibility with Grid and BeanEditForm / Tapestry-Bootstrap

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
My vote is #2

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Short answer: yes.

Longer answer:

I have an existing web site. I don't want to change anything about it when including the bootstrap module on the class path. Right now the act of just including the module on the class path breaks the web site.

I do want to write new pages and select whether they are using bootstrap or not.
If they are including the Bootstrap CSS or JS, then and only then do I want the module to modify the existing tapestry components.

I would also like the bootstrap module to include the bootstrap CSS and JS in the archive.

Hopefully this will make it clear.