Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Manu Seth <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/08/06 22:36:36 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc6

Hi Justin,

Thanks for pointing out the licensing issues. We are working on addressing them.

With respect to your comments on the `erfinv` header file [1], the file references [2] as its source which is licensed under the new BSD license here [3]. There is a reference to MATLAB v2 which got released in 1986 and the function has since been adapted by several libraries including scipy (also under new BSD license), so I don't think we should be concerned about MATLAB license. Do you think referring to [3] in the header file [1] would suffice? Would like to know your thoughts on the same.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/src/operator/contrib/erfinv-inl.h
[2] https://github.com/antelopeusersgroup/antelope_contrib/blob/master/lib/location/libgenloc/erfinv.c
[3] https://github.com/antelopeusersgroup/antelope_contrib/blob/master/lib/location/libgenloc/LICENSE

Thanks!
Manu Seth

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Is this case the author / copyright owner is probably MATLAB / Math Works as that is where the code was copied from.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc6

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> With respect to your comments on the `erfinv` header file [1], the file references [2] as its source which is licensed under the new BSD license here [3].

Just because someone release a bundle of source under a license doesn’t change the of license terms of 3rd party code included in that bundle. Nor does its use by other people change the license.

I would suggest that you either:
a) Contact the author and ask permission to use the code / have it relicensed.
b) Replace the code with something under a compatible license.

Kind Regards,
Justin