Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Ryan Griffith <ry...@hannonhill.com> on 2022/02/24 17:03:19 UTC

Getting illegal-access warnings from Velocity (Tools)

Hello,

My company has an application that runs on OpenJDK 11 and utilizes Velocity
and various Velocity Tools, nothing out of the ordinary with the setup.

We started noticing the following warnings crop up in our Tomcat container
logging and wanted to reach out per the message stating to contact the
class maintainer:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl
(file:/user/local/app/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-IN
F/lib/velocity-1.7.jar) to method
sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo.getTimeZone(java.lang.String)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further
illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Is there something we should be doing on our end, or is this an issue with
the DateTool or UberspectImpl? We're running Velocity 1.7 and Velocity
Tools 2.0, so I also was unsure if this is something that may be corrected
by an upgrade. Can't find any mention of the warning on the mailing list or
with some searching.

Thank you in advance.